Re: [Hipsec] OPS-DIR review of draft-ietf-hip-over-hip-05

<david.black@emc.com> Tue, 01 March 2011 14:44 UTC

From: david.black@emc.com
To: ari.keranen@ericsson.com
Date: Tue, 01 Mar 2011 09:44:23 -0500
acceptlanguage: en-US
Cc: hipsec@ietf.org, ops-dir@ietf.org, rdroms.ietf@gmail.com, david.black@emc.com, gonzalo.camarillo@ericsson.com
Subject: Re: [Hipsec] OPS-DIR review of draft-ietf-hip-over-hip-05

Hi Ari,

> If we explicitly prevent a policy that would not allow un-encrypted connection re-establishing
> UPDATEs, I think we have this fixed, and we would not need to use error messages for informing about
> this. I would change the text in section 5 into (added the last sentence and changed the second-to-
> last one):
>
>    [...] If encryption was
>    previously used, hosts SHOULD send outside of the encrypted
>    connection only HIP messages that are used to re-establish the
>    encrypted connection.  Especially, messages for which the policy is
>    to send them only encrypted (e.g., DATA messages using an encrypted
>    transport mode) MUST be sent only using the encrypted connection.
>    Note that a policy MUST NOT prevent sending un-encrypted UPDATE
>    messages used for re-establishing the encrypted connection, since
>    that would prevent recovering from failed encrypted connections.

That proposed change looks good to me, as the immediately following sentence in Section 5 points back to Section 3.2 for the re-negotiation, from which the reader will proceed to Section 3.3 on handling the error that occurs if the re-negotiation fails to propose an encrypted HIP transport.

Please wait to hear from Ralph (AD) before submitting a revised draft, as an RFC Editor Note may suffice to make this change.

Thanks,
--David