[Hipsec] Identifying SIP user agents

saq66@umkc.edu (senthil ayyasamy) Tue, 24 February 2004 03:38 UTC

From: saq66@umkc.edu
Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2004 03:38:01 +0000
Subject: [Hipsec] Identifying SIP user agents

At 10:41 AM 2/24/2004 +0200, Gonzalo Camarillo wrote:
>The SIPPING WG is working on defining global identifiers for SIP (Session
>Initiation Protocol) user agents. That is, my SIP phone will have a global
>identifier, so that I can distinguish it from my other SIP devides (like
>my software based SIP user agent running in my laptop). the relevant
>drafts are:
>
>http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-stucker-sip-guid-00.txt
>http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-jennings-sipping-instance-id-00.txt

without looking into the drafts, how it is different from globally routable
UA URI?

>The multimedia community was wondering whether they could use HIs or HITs
>for this purpose.

It can use if we solve the referral/rendezvous issue(i.e. SIP can use HI
instead of IP
address.)

I have two questions about rendezvous/referral:

1. If HIPRR come up with a better-than-DNS naming resolution system, can
applications bypass
    DNS and directly access the new system? It will be useful for many
future applications
    like ad-hoc, sensor, P2P etc.

2. I was looking into draft-ietf-dnsext-mdns today. what are your views
about LLMNR _like_
    model + distributed object look-up for name resolution?