Re: [Hipsec] WGLC: draft-ietf-hip-rfc5202-bis

Petri Jokela <petri.jokela@nomadiclab.com> Fri, 14 June 2013 06:57 UTC

From: Petri Jokela <petri.jokela@nomadiclab.com>
Date: Fri, 14 Jun 2013 09:57:40 +0300
To: "Henderson, Thomas R" <thomas.r.henderson@boeing.com>, HIP <hipsec@ietf.org>
Cc: rgm@icsalabs.com
Subject: Re: [Hipsec] WGLC: draft-ietf-hip-rfc5202-bis

On 11.3.2013, at 23.57, Henderson, Thomas R wrote:

> This is a WGLC review of RFC5202-bis.
>
> This draft seems to be close to being ready.  There are two areas (more detail below) that IMO could be clarified or else left out of scope:
>
> 1) handling of simultaneous IPsec and HIP ESP

Hi,

I somehow missed this point when I was fixing the document. I'm not sure what we should do with this, any comments or suggestions? Currently the document says:

3.4.  IPsec and HIP ESP Implementation Considerations

   When HIP is run on a node where a standards compliant IPsec is used,
   some issues have to be considered.

   The HIP implementation must be able to co-exist with other IPsec
   keying protocols.  When the HIP implementation selects the SPI value,
   it may lead to a collision if not implemented properly.  To avoid the
   possibility for a collision, the HIP implementation MUST ensure that
   the SPI values used for HIP SAs are not used for IPsec or other SAs,
   and vice versa.

   In the sending host, the HIP SA processing takes place always before
   the IPsec processing.  Vice versa, at the receiving host, the IPsec
   processing is done first for incoming packets and the decrypted
   packet is further given to the HIP processing.

   Incoming packets using an SA that is not negotiated by HIP MUST NOT
   be processed as described in Section 3.2, paragraph 2.  The SPI will
   identify the correct SA for packet decryption and MUST be used to
   identify that the packet has an upper-layer checksum that is
   calculated as specified in [I-D.ietf-hip-rfc5201-bis].

/petri