Re: [Hipsec] Feedback for 4423bis

Robert Moskowitz <rgm@htt-consult.com> Fri, 19 October 2012 04:25 UTC

Date: Fri, 19 Oct 2012 00:24:53 -0400
From: Robert Moskowitz <rgm@htt-consult.com>
To: Miika Komu <mkomu@cs.hut.fi>
Cc: hipsec@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [Hipsec] Feedback for 4423bis

I want to thank both of you for these comments.

Updating 4423 has been hard; there is a historical prospective that has
needed to be addressed, and I missed a number of points. Note that
4423-bis NEEDs to remain an architectual document, and not a protocol
document. This is a fine line to tread; particularly here in the IETF
where protocols are our life. But it needs to reflect the current state
of the art, not a forecast of where the art is going. This means that
there are many items that were TBDs back when 4423 was penned, but are
now finished. Likewise, HIP-RFID is still work in progress.

So my goal is to work up the next version for mid-next week. I will be
posting some text here for review purposes.