RE: [HOKEY] consensus call: key distribution security requirement

"Dan Harkins" <dharkins@lounge.org> Fri, 06 April 2007 16:46 UTC

References: <460EB36E.5010604@cs.umd.edu> <C24CB51D5AA800449982D9BCB9032513575610@NAEX13.na.qualcomm.com> <20070404024453.GA18289@steelhead> <C24CB51D5AA800449982D9BCB9032513575663@NAEX13.na.qualcomm.com> <7030.12.108.168.179.1175729051.squirrel@www.trepanning.net> <C24CB51D5AA800449982D9BCB90325135756E5@NAEX13.na.qualcomm.com> <44325.69.12.173.8.1175792579.squirrel@www.trepanning.net> <C24CB51D5AA800449982D9BCB9032513575738@NAEX13.na.qualcomm.com> <33754.69.12.173.8.1175797183.squirrel@www.trepanning.net> <C24CB51D5AA800449982D9BCB90325135757C3@NAEX13.na.qualcomm.com>
Date: Fri, 06 Apr 2007 09:46:25 -0700
Subject: RE: [HOKEY] consensus call: key distribution security requirement
From: Dan Harkins <dharkins@lounge.org>
To: "Narayanan, Vidya" <vidyan@qualcomm.com>
Cc: hokey@ietf.org

  Hi Vidya,

  When EAP is used in "pass-thru" mode there is a problem. As you note
that problem, and a solution to it, is described in RFC3748 under the
heading of "Channel Binding". We have that same sort of problem in
spades here in HOKEY because we're distributing keys that must be for
a specific authenticator, for a specific usage, and I guess for a specific
domain. There is context that constrains who can use a key and how that
key can be used. So we need to solve that same sort of problem that EAP
has when used in "pass-thru" mode.

  Perhaps "Channel Binding" isn't a good term to use since it implies
something specific (RFC3748). How about "protected exchange"? That is
how RFC3748 describes "Channel Binding" anyway. So would something along
the lines of this be agreeable?

   HOKEY MUST include a protected exchange of context, usage, and
   identities that are bound to, and constrain, a key including but
   not limited to [enumerate the things needed]. This will make it
   possible to match the same properties provided by the authenticator
   via an out-of-band mechanism (like AAA) against those in the protected
   exchange in the HOKEY protocol.

To plagiarize^H^H^H^H^H^H paraphrase RFC3748.

  Dan.