Re: [HOKEY] [FW: New Version Notification for draft-ietf-hokey-key-mgm-02]

Charles Clancy <clancy@cs.umd.edu> Sun, 24 February 2008 01:14 UTC

Date: Sat, 23 Feb 2008 20:14:24 -0500
From: Charles Clancy <clancy@cs.umd.edu>
To: Yoshihiro Ohba <yohba@tari.toshiba.com>
Cc: hokey@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [HOKEY] [FW: New Version Notification for draft-ietf-hokey-key-mgm-02]
Sender: hokey-bounces@ietf.org

Yoshi,

I think there are multiple approaches for supporting both hop-by-hop and
end-to-end security.  I'd rather them be expressed as requirements on
the transport protocol, rather than implemented directly within this
document.

For example, RADIUS keywrap allows you to securely encrypt information
to transport over a AAA infrastructure.  The keys used can either be
end-to-end keys, or hop-by-hop keys.  If end-to-end keys are used, then
you get end-to-end security.  If hop-by-hop keys are used, you don't.
But, it's then up to the deployment to decide what type of keying they
can support.  It's up to us to document the ramifications of that
decision in the security considerations section.

My email that you cite below reflects the ability to easily provision
end-to-end keys for use with keywrap, among other protocols.  It would
make it easier to support end-to-end security.

--
t. charles clancy, ph.d.                 eng.umd.edu/~tcc
electrical & computer engineering, university of maryland