Re: [HOKEY] HOKEY threat model and requirements

Charles Clancy <clancy@cs.umd.edu> Tue, 20 February 2007 02:04 UTC

Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2007 21:03:56 -0500
From: Charles Clancy <clancy@cs.umd.edu>
To: Dan Harkins <dharkins@lounge.org>
Subject: Re: [HOKEY] HOKEY threat model and requirements
Cc: Sam Hartman <hartmans-ietf@mit.edu>, hokey@ietf.org

Dan,

My understanding is that your chief concern is DSRK/HRKs not getting
sent to the proper devices in the proper domain, because in many AAA
deployments, security associations are not linked to identity.  This is
an artifact of using a single [RADIUS] shared secret to authenticate all
AAA devices.

Some have indicated that this is not our problem.  In AAA, by using
PKI-based authentication or per-device shared secrets, we can securely
bind an identity to a security association.  Certainly the protocols
support this, but could current implementations be easily fooled by not
properly implementing the necessary binding?

You're proposing using something like Otway-Rees to solve this problem,
without checking and possibly fixing current AAA
implementations/deployments.  Otway-Rees assumes two preexisting
pairwise keys, peer<->eap and hokey<->eap.

Certainly peer<->eap is easy -- that's the EMSK (or some child).  But,
where do you propose hokey<->eap come from?  Would each HOKEY server be
provisioned a shared key with each EAP server?  Or, would we instead
reuse a AAA security association?

If we're going to reuse the AAA security association, we have the same
problem as before with possible identity impersonation in weak
deployments/implementations.  If we plan to provision a shared key to
everyone, why not just provision a unique AAA shared secret instead?

Sure, there may still be flawed implementations or deployments out
there, but we're operating under the assumptions of
draft-housley-aaa-key-mgmt, which requires mutual authentication.  If
identities are not properly bound, you don't have mutual authentication,
and consequently that's not an implementation/deployment we're required
to cater to.  We'd have a lengthy security considerations section
telling people the adverse affects of not properly deploying AAA security.

As I mentioned in the EAP-ER consensus call, I'd appreciate it if you
could formalize your thoughts into a strawman protocol proposal draft,
and describe the pros/cons versus relying on channel-bound AAA security.

--
t. charles clancy, ph.d.  |  tcc@umd.edu  |  www.cs.umd.edu/~clancy