RE: [HOKEY] key scope versus Context. consensus call: key distribution security requirement

Madjid Nakhjiri <mnakhjiri@huawei.com> Wed, 11 April 2007 21:08 UTC

Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2007 14:08:15 -0700
From: Madjid Nakhjiri <mnakhjiri@huawei.com>
Subject: RE: [HOKEY] key scope versus Context. consensus call: key distribution security requirement
To: 'Russ Housley' <housley@vigilsec.com>, 'Charles Clancy' <clancy@cs.umd.edu>
Cc: 'Bernard Aboba' <bernard_aboba@hotmail.com>, hokey@ietf.org

Hi Russ,

Ok, yes, I stand corrected. There is no inconsistency. But there is an
overlap as you said. When we get into defining the syntax for scope versus
context for transport and protocol purposes (e.g. we want to possibly
transmit the key context along with the key itself with a AAA message) or
define "usage" for usage specific root key derivation from EMSK, it is
cleaner if there is no overlap in the definitions, so we can say:

Scope is just a bunch of identities, while context is the rest (loosely
speaking).

Thanks for the explanation on "manner". Ok, that is what I understood. So
manner is the cryptographic use of the key (derive keys, wrap keys, protect
stuff and so on).
So it seems "usage" could be another bullet for context (for the purpose of
EMSK draft, possibly not for Housley draft), where "usage" is hokey, Mobile
IP, etc.

R,

Madjid