RE: [HOKEY] comments on draft-gaonkar-radext-erp-attrs-00

Madjid Nakhjiri <mnakhjiri@huawei.com> Fri, 20 July 2007 17:34 UTC

Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2007 10:33:53 -0700
From: Madjid Nakhjiri <mnakhjiri@huawei.com>
Subject: RE: [HOKEY] comments on draft-gaonkar-radext-erp-attrs-00
To: "'Glen Zorn (gwz)'" <gwz@cisco.com>, 'Yoshihiro Ohba' <yohba@tari.toshiba.com>
Cc: 'Sam Hartman' <hartmans-ietf@mit.edu>, 'Tim Polk' <tim.polk@nist.gov>, housley@vigilsec.com, hokey@ietf.org

Ok, I am quite aware of proxy issues.
 in case you guys forgot IETF has a document called

draft-housley-aaa-key-mgmt-09.txt

that has a section

Limit key scope

         Following the principle of least privilege, parties MUST NOT
         have access to keying material that is not needed to perform
         their role.  A party has access to a particular key if it has
         access to all of the secret information needed to derive it.

         Any protocol that is used to establish session keys, MUST
         specify the scope for session keys, clearly identifying the
         parties to whom the session key is available.

The sec area directorate and Tim just asked us to address the issues of
proxies regarding a MIP4-RADIUS document and take Housley-aaa-key
requirements into consideration when it comes to MIP keys transport, and for
the record we are not using a 3 party distribution there..

We had addressed zorn-key-wrap draft in that discussion, but obviously IETF
traction of that document is slow too.

Obviously this group and IETF needs to solve the proxy problem one way or
the other, 3 party protocol or not, keys are going to go over proxies
somehow, if you have a Kerberos proposal, lets see it, even a "term paper"
like piece would be appreciated. After all this is an engineering forum,
even though the management style of treating volunteers leaves things to be
desired some times...

As far as taking critique, may be I send (to this list) some of the
conversations where I time after time asked to take the discussions to the
public list, without any resolve...

Also, it is appreciated if the chairs are a bit more available than 2
emails/month if they are going to call their own WG docs "term paper"..
By approved I meant approved as ietf-hokey-... not approved by IETF.

I believe this is the note I got from Charles:

"Madjid,

Thanks for all your work on the key delivery document.  After a brief
skim, it looks MUCH more like what I was envisioning.  I'll read it in
detail in the next week and send more specific comments. "

So maybe between the two of you, you can decide what it is you want??
As for me, may be I should go earn my pay check now.

Madjid