Re: [homegate] Update on BOF / WG formation

Mark Baugher <mbaugher@cisco.com> Sat, 25 September 2010 18:09 UTC

From: Mark Baugher <mbaugher@cisco.com>
Date: Sat, 25 Sep 2010 11:09:42 -0700
To: Mark Townsley <townsley@cisco.com>
Cc: homegate@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [homegate] Update on BOF / WG formation

I like Joe Touch's general approach.

I don't see where the IETF has any experience in producing standards for home and other small, private networks - except for mDNS, which has taken an absurdly long amount of time and is surely going to be out of date by the time it is an RFC.  Another challenge is that usability issues are a major concern in home and SOHO networks - also not a forte of the IETF to date AFAICT.

I support doing work on home-network routing and related charter items in the IETF, but it seems prudent to start small and less ambitious for some of the reasons mentioned above. PILC might be an example to follow.

I do get your point that it is not possible to do BCPs without having done requirements that take into account home network applications, services, protocols, topologies, owners and users.

Mark