Re: [homenet] Comments on draft-acee-ospf-ospfv3-autoconfig-00

Acee Lindem <acee.lindem@ericsson.com> Tue, 15 November 2011 18:52 UTC

From: Acee Lindem <acee.lindem@ericsson.com>
To: Michael Richardson <mcr@sandelman.ca>
Date: Tue, 15 Nov 2011 13:52:14 -0500
acceptlanguage: en-US
Cc: "<homenet@ietf.org>" <homenet@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [homenet] Comments on draft-acee-ospf-ospfv3-autoconfig-00

Hi Michael,

On Nov 15, 2011, at 10:26 AM, Michael Richardson wrote:

>    Lorenzo> 4. For security, I think we should pick an auth scheme and
>    Lorenzo> stick to it, otherwise
>    Lorenzo> it will just lead to fragmentation. Some pre-shared key
>    Lorenzo> scheme might be adequate; I don't know much about security
>    Lorenzo> so I don't really care what it is, but I do think we need
>    Lorenzo> to have one and it needs to be the same for
>    Lorenzo> everyone. I think we should say MUST here.
>
> So, let me go over the options in order to violently agree.
>
> 1) OSPF is multicast, so we can't use any bilteral key-agreement
>   protocol on it's own.  Statically keyed AH can be used for multicast
>   traffic, and a router can trivially ignore an AH validation failure in
>   order to provide some diagnostics by evaluating the contents of
>   the OSPF frame. (This requires hacks on platforms that already have
>   IPsec, but if you implement the AH inside the OSPF daemon....)
>
>   (so diagnostics can say, "I saw router FOO on interface BLAH, but
>   the key didn't match, so I ignored it", or even, "I saw router FOO
>   on interface BLAH, and since the key didn't match, I treated it as a
>   guest network".  What router FOO thinks of the packets it receives is an
>   open question)
>
> 2) While we could invoke some kind of group-KMP, these essentially work
>   out to a series of bilateral trust relationships which results in the
>   master machine giving out the pre-shared secret in a secure fashion.
>   The bilateral trust mechanism needs to be anchored by something,
>   and you can invoke public key mechanisms, or... shared secret.
>
>   Public key mechanisms with a leap-of-faith and then confirmation via UI,
>   would be very cool, but completely exceeds our needs.
>
> 3) my understanding is that OSPFv3 eliminated the plain-text HELLO and
>   md5 methods.
>
> The major thing we need to specify for zOSPF is that we need to pick a
> well-known SPI value for the AH header.  That SPI value will need to
> specify an algorithm (HMAC-SHA1, HMAC-SHA2, HMAC-SHA3...) and perhaps a
> key length.  We should publish a few choices for future interop, but we
> will need to pick one MUST for today.  We can't really be resistant
> against a bid-down attack, but even HMAC-SHA1 is pretty resistant today
> (vs bare SHA1), and I think that we can count upon being able to specify
> HMAC-SHA3 for this work.

We will soon have non-IPsec authentication for OSPFv3:

   http://www.ietf.org/id/draft-ietf-ospf-auth-trailer-ospfv3-10.txt

The point that I don't understand from this E-mail thread is where the Security Association (SA) comes from to use for auto-configured OSPFv3 routers?
I guess it is from a USB flash drive ;^)). Also, are you and Lorenzo suggesting we make authentication MANDATORY in for auto-configured OSPFv3 routers?

Thanks,
Acee