[homenet] Stephen Farrell's No Objection on draft-ietf-homenet-prefix-assignment-07: (with COMMENT)

"Stephen Farrell" <stephen.farrell@cs.tcd.ie> Wed, 08 July 2015 15:37 UTC

From: Stephen Farrell <stephen.farrell@cs.tcd.ie>
To: The IESG <iesg@ietf.org>
Date: Wed, 08 Jul 2015 08:37:17 -0700
Cc: homenet@ietf.org, Mark Townsley <mark@townsley.net>, ray@bellis.me.uk
Subject: [homenet] Stephen Farrell's No Objection on draft-ietf-homenet-prefix-assignment-07: (with COMMENT)

Stephen Farrell has entered the following ballot position for
draft-ietf-homenet-prefix-assignment-07: No Objection

introductory paragraph, however.)

https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-homenet-prefix-assignment/

COMMENT:

- section 3: I expected some security text here, not to say that
this all needs to be encrypted but rather to say that because
this is flooding, you can't really encrypt it and that hence
this scheme is only suited for smaller deployments and/or those
with lower layer security already in place. (And hence also
probably small.)

- section 3: Similarly, you could also add some privacy text to
the effect that this scheme only applies where the privacy
characteristics of the various prefixes involved are all
roughtly similar, that is, where there's no real privacy
difference in which prefixes end up with which nodes. (Mind you,
I need to ponder that a bit myself to see if it's really the
case;-)

- sections 4 & 5: I found this impossible to understand in a
(quick) linear reading. I'd find actual code easier tbh. It's
interesting that Barry found this clear though (I did not,
clearly:-) so this isn't a discuss. But why didn't you first
provide an overview of the algorithm?

- Where is the evidence that the algorithm converges? I'd have
thought there would be a reference to an academic publication
that also described the algorithm and a proof for convergence.