Re: [homenet] homenet-prefix-assignment update - behaviour at one ISP

Alexandru Petrescu <alexandru.petrescu@gmail.com> Wed, 08 October 2014 12:29 UTC

Date: Wed, 08 Oct 2014 14:29:39 +0200
From: Alexandru Petrescu <alexandru.petrescu@gmail.com>
To: Pierre Pfister <pierre.pfister@darou.fr>
Cc: homenet@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [homenet] homenet-prefix-assignment update - behaviour at one ISP

Le 08/10/2014 14:15, Pierre Pfister a écrit :

> Le 8 oct. 2014 à 13:58, Alexandru Petrescu
> <alexandru.petrescu@gmail.com> a écrit :
>
>> Hi Pierre,
>>
>> Le 08/10/2014 13:28, Pierre Pfister a écrit :
>>> Hi Alex,
>>>
>>> Reply is inlined,

>>> I’m not a big fan of putting 64s everywhere neither. And I
>>> strongly disagree with mandating 64 bit long prefixes. The prefix
>>> algorithm itself is agnostic on this side.
>>>
>>> Nevertheless, some parts of this document are home-network
>>> specific. Not even talking about crappy implementations, home
>>> network links should support SLAAC whenever possible. Which is
>>> the reason why using 64bit long prefixes is RECOMMENDED.
>>
>> Ah, I see.  I doubt though SLAAC is 64.  Maybe Ethernet is.
>
> SLAAC relies on ‘interface identifier’. Ethernet uses the EUI-64. I
> have no knowledge of other methods of generating an interface
> identifier.
>
> The why64 draft is interesting (and sad) on that front.
>

>>> But smaller prefixes are better than *no prefix at all*. When
>>> there are not enough prefixes available (e.g. the ISP provides a
>>> single 64 while we have multiple links), smaller prefixes can be
>>> used (80 for instance). Which means dhcpv6 must be used. Our
>>> implementation supports it, and it works with my laptop.
>>
>> Ok.
>>
>>> But again, that should be avoided whenever possible. And ISPs
>>> MUST provided enough prefixes (IMO).
>>
>> I agree with you.
>>
>> Last time I checked Free ISP seems to provide 8 /64 prefixes to my
>> homenet: 2001:db8:0:ce10::/64 2001:db8:0:ce11::/64 ...
>> 2001:db8:0:ce17::/64 I dont think these could be aggregated into a
>> single shorter prefix, or my math is missing.
>
> That is 2001:db8:0:ce10::/61

Right, sorry, my math was missing.  So I suppose Free ISP delegates a
single /61 to me then, not several /64s.  This is a local prefix
division performed in that router.  I do not necessarily agree with it,
as I could have divided it differently, or I could have announced the
/61 in RA in the first link of the homenet, etc.

>> Second, their (Free's) web interface asks me to put a next hop for
>> each of these prefixes.
>>
> I’m not sure what that means. Is that in the freebox ?

YEs, it is in the Freebox Server (not Player), the freebox OS 3.0, sorry
no advertisement.

> I guess it doesn’t support DHCPv6-PD (yet). Could you check that ?

It does not support DHCPv6-PD Server on the ingress side, or otherwise
these fields containing 'next-hop' would have not been there.

As DHCPv6-PD Client on the egress side - I dont know, no means to check
unless I loose it.

> If you put a homenet router below your freebox, you will have to
> provide a prefix to the homenet router manually (which is supposed to
> be done by DHCPv6-PD).

Yes, I agree with  you.  No DHCP-PD at this time.

But if the freebox had a daemon listening to commands to fill in these
next-hop fields then it would work.

I am saying this because I speculate the way in which this particular
operator may work, but I have no affiliation with it.

Alex

>> Do you think HNCP implementation may help fill in these fields
>> automatically somehow?

>>> Equality is never considered alone. Actually, most of the time,
>>> you will find considerations such as: The prefix is not included
>>> or does not include any other Assigned Prefix with a higher
>>> precedence.
>>
>> I wonder about the implementability of this statement, but yes it
>> may be possible to write one.
>
> I’ll reply to your other mail concerning that.
>

>>> This is how collisions are detected.
>>
>> Ok.
>>
>> Alex
>>

>>> Cheers,
>>>
>>> - Pierre

The changes are mostly about fixing typos, but a few technical changes
have been made as well (based on the experience gained from the
implementation of the Prefix Assignment Algorithm over HNCP).