Re: [homenet] On the TLD question and validatably-insecure delegation

Mark Andrews <marka@isc.org> Wed, 16 November 2016 06:30 UTC

To: Andrew Sullivan <ajs@anvilwalrusden.com>
From: Mark Andrews <marka@isc.org>
Date: Wed, 16 Nov 2016 17:30:43 +1100
Cc: homenet@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [homenet] On the TLD question and validatably-insecure delegation

In message <20161116054604.GB55057@mx2.yitter.info>, Andrew Sullivan writes:
> Hi,
>
> Mark Andrews's point about a DNSSEC insecure delegation today was not
> I think fully appreciated.
>
> In order to create a top-most label in the domain name that can be
> used this way and that has the necessary properties, we cannot simply
> instruct IANA to do it.  That is in fact creating a delegation in the
> root zone of the DNS.  I believe that RFC 2860 (the MoU between the
> IETF and ICANN) does allow us to create special-use domain names at
> the top-most level.  But I do not believe it allows us to create
> special-use domain names at the top-most level _in the DNS_, because
> that is control of the root zone and it is unambiguously the province
> of ICANN.
>
> Therefore, if the WG decides to use a top-level label for these
> purposes, we have to apply to ICANN to get it delegated from the root
> in a provably insecure fashion.  Interestingly, ICANN actually has a
> policy that it won't delegate things from the root any more that are
> _not_ DNSSEC signed, and the whole point here is in fact to add an
> entry that is contrary to that policy, so getting such a delegation
> would require ICANN to change its policies before it could happen.

I suspect this is a mischaracterization of the policy.  GTLD
delegations are so constrained.  This is not a GTLD delegation.

New country code delegations are not so constrained.

We are not asking them to delegate away from the roots.

root zone:
HOMENET. NS A.ROOT-SERVERS.NET.
HOMENET. NS M.ROOT-SERVERS.NET.

homenet zone:
HOMENET. SOA a.root-servers.net. nstld.verisign-grs.com. 1 1800 900 604800 86400
HOMENET. NS A.ROOT-SERVERS.NET.
HOMENET. NS M.ROOT-SERVERS.NET.

B.T.W. this should also be done for .ONION and .LOCAL if we want
local DNS resolvers to intercept these queries.  DNSSEC keeps
getting forgotten.  The only reason people aren't screaming
is that there are very few validating clients and the both
.ONION and .LOCAL don't use the DNS.  SERVFAIL is nearly as
good as NXDOMAIN for these use cases.

HOMENET uses the DNS.  If one can get a trust anchor for HOMENET
installed in every validator there shouldn't be any queries for
HOMENET/DS.