[homenet] Interim meeting minutes

Mark Townsley <mark@townsley.net> Tue, 18 October 2011 10:12 UTC

From: Mark Townsley <mark@townsley.net>
Date: Tue, 18 Oct 2011 12:12:22 +0200
To: "homenet@ietf.org Group" <homenet@ietf.org>
Subject: [homenet] Interim meeting minutes

Many thanks to Juan Carlos Zuniga for taking notes on the first day and most of the second day. We're still waiting on input from other minute takers, but here is what Juan sent in. Its untouched other than one edit requested of Mark by Juan (marked as such in the notes).

- Mark & Ray

IETF Homenet Interim Meeting

Philadelphia, PA

6th and 7th of October, 2011

Chairs:		Mark Townsley <townsley@cisco.com>
Ray Bellis <ray.bellis@nominet.org.uk>

Area Director:	Ralph Droms <rdroms.ietf@gmail.com>
Tech Advisor:	Acee Lindem <acee.lindem@ericsson.com>

Slides at	http://trac.tools.ietf.org/wg/homenet/trac/wiki

Note Well

Agenda Bashing

09:30 - 12:00 - Architecture Working Session (Timm Chown, Jari Arkko)
Jari – Homenet Architecture draft-chown-homenet-arch

Tim Chown, Jari Arkko, Jason Weil, Ole Troan

Approaches to standardizing homenets: operational (works well for me), implementation commonality (xyz have it), experience (we have enough experience to recommend it), functionality (we need this feature), specification (IETF has to make it)

Authors are in operational experience

List has pushed the envelope a little further

Acee Lindem – Question on requirements: given the discussion on the list, how do we reach consensus?
JA – we have to present the case, understand and then make a decision
Ralph Droms – How do you see the deliverables coming out? IETF Recommendations? In service discovery there are many options. Are we going to pick one and bless it, or are we going to look at all and recommend how to make them work
Michael R – Are we going to look at all flowers?
RD – Any thoughts about the ones that are being implemented and sold today?
JA- We are not here to kill solutions. IETF normally produces specifications and people choose. Here however we should provide a basic recommendation (naming base).
We might push the envelope to sensor routing or service discovery
Mark T – 6204 could be seen as homenet v0.0. We are now more focused on how we do it with multiple routers (at home).
RD – most ISPs give a /64. I don’t want to make assumptions that this will be everywhere, as we could have more constrained scenarios.
JA – good example. If we want to support multiple networks behind a /64 we might get in trouble.
 Jim Witt – this is a deployment case today, but should not be like this.
JA – They provide this today but they are working hard to provide more in the future.
MT – I have not seen a recommendation for /64 at home. Probably there is a 3gpp for handset.

Jim – This is a place where running code should speak.
JA – I meant this by conservative

Lorenzo – Running code today does not do this.
MT – there is, but you cannot get them off-the-shelf. In my company we decided to put 6204
JA – it is reasonable to specify what should be done
Lorenzo – There are routing problems that you cannot solve with RIP, DHCP PD. So we need it
Jim – Development goes in upstream OAM projects and often code is 5 years old, e.g. linux kernels
MT – Some companies do it differently. We do it and Apple does it too
Lorenzo – are you suggesting write code and feed it in the upstream
Jim – Yes

Michael – you can have “orange and blue” versions for specific problems
AL –  a lot can be accomplished if the box at the edge it treated as such
Michael – 1% of users with problems cause 50% of support calls
Jim – badly home boxes create these problems. Cheap boxes use open source codes. If we can create this code then “hopefully” the small guys will pick it up
Michael – As ISP, we often replace the box at the users’ premises by a less costly box that actually works.

Jari’s view
Probably we will create recommendations on
Things that exist
Things that are there but not used
Things that need to be written

Possible recommendations (2 slides):
What I have: Run local DNS servers…
What I should do: Prefix Distribution from ISP, Simple security 6092

Michael: How to select when I connect my phone to the PC, they both connect and they do tethering.
You can only solve this if your support VM

Basic Network Architecture
6204, v6ops-ipv6-cpe-router-bis, draft-baker-*

Network Topology

Multihoming
Mainly a problem for the host
The home should support multiple exist routers, and should let the host know which one to use
JA  - 484 ingress rules we can rely on
Michel – tow home network

Alex  R – So are we considewring the Femto case out of scope?
Lorenzo – the netorks cannot deal with end to end. This is a role of the host
Fred Baker- I don’t agree, you can use 6296 (nat66) and maintain connectivity.
Lorenzo – how about applications that carry IP address in payload?
FB – they are broken

G – we have to make sure we replicate walled-garden services “bring the information all the way to the host” and let it decide (e.g. DNS server selection for walled garden services from two providers)

Jason Livingston 4191

Principles – Assumptions (Tim Presenting now)

Dual stack (of course IPv6-nly too)
IPv6, but not damaging to IPv4 operation
Transition tools are covered elsewhere

RD – We don’t want to rule out the case when you have a NAT (even if connected by mistake)

AL – Do you want to do NAT64 in home or at provider?

JA - We will not address transistion and will not overlap with other groups. We can however have IPv6 only recommendations for home networks that mention what other should be used or not.

Lorenzo – Are we taking a versioned approach?
RD –

JA - Not saying that we cannot solve everything. WE ahave to carefully think what we can do o
Lorenzo – What users are going to find useful

JCZ – 802 service discovery?
MT – for a Linksys discovering if you are connected to another Linksys or to the internet
It would be interesting (e..g do I turn on Firewall, NAT or not?)

Alex – FF and WBA We are going to assume how to connect the two networks

MT – CEA, BBF, DLNA, 802 (service discovery)

RD - ZigBee alliance, looking at service and naming discovery heavily

(presentation) We should allow for different practices on the ISP side
/48, /56, but what about /64?
Static/dynamic prefix delegation?

Intelligent policy
Do not hardcode addresses or security policies – problem with security and prefixes

Transparent end-to-end communications
May expect to use PCP or uPnP
What about ULAs with the use of NATs?

MT – moving from link-local to multiple links in home, we can use ULA
Ole – Are we considering a homenet without an ISP?
RD – You can setup ULA without ISP and then as soon as you get ISP you disable ULA
MT – I don’t agree, ULA could still work
Alex – how about DHCP
Michael – Similar to ULA
Lorenzo- your printing job will be stopped when your DSL comes back… not good

We have identified advantages but there are drawbacks
6204

MT – if v6 can detect if this is a WAN or LAN port
RD – Are we going to require the v4 topology in v6? Eg v bridgeing v4 routing? If they have to be congruent, no issue. If they don’t have to be congruent then we have to look at that
??? (black shirt) – this may not be possible due to chipsets in the market
Michael – in cheap boxes this is mainly in SW
Jim – today chipsets do VLAN and many other things.

Existing protocols are subnet scoped (mDNS, LLMR, DNS-SD)
JA – How about gaming?

MT – Missing elements?

(Black) – Energy aware elements in the protocol?

Erik Nordmark (remote) – ??
MT – ??
EN – Can you construct loops that break v4?
JA – This is a problem on itself and we cannot fix it
MT – We need to understand how complex the solution is if we want to handle loops and then decide if we want to address this problem or not

Lunch

13:15 - 15:15 - Prefix Configuration Working Session (Ole Troan)

Requirements list

Are names specific?
MANET and RPL

OT – you might want to know if you want to assign a prefix a link to out again
JA – Do you need this?
MT – Defection of boundary affects PA distribution and many other things (blue and red cables)

Arbitrary Topology – Must (for real cases) Nice (for pathological cases)
Multiple sources – Must (support for more than one ISP, Femto, etc)
Stable prefix – Must
JA – resilient to crashes, reboots and lease expiry

Jim – Stable addresses are not meaningful. Name stability is a critical

Multilink subnet routing

Are we ok supporting /64 only?
MT – Erik and Ole should analyse if this is valid without host changes
Jason – we are safe assuming multiple subnets and more than /64
Michael – if one /64 addresses 90%, can we assume two /64 address 99.9, or ISPs prefer /63?
Lorenzo – current HW would override old PA and would assign the new one

Hierarchical DHCP

Flat DHCP prefix delegation draft-baker-homenet + RFC 3633

RD – You can assume that routers will not assign orefixes on links that already have
FB – multiple routers on the same link
JA – there is a fundamental question whether resources are taken from a pool, or a distributed algorithm chooses resources not being used

Zeroconfig OSPF
Lorenzo, AL - Allows border discovery, could help passing key information
JA – only OSPF?
MT – you could make it work in other protocols
Jim – writing information every few minutes is fine. Writing every few seconds is bad
Lorenzo – By widely delyed we mean open implementation that has been accepted.

MT – Timecheck: go back to table? Continue?

Jim - OLSR is of use, as there are mesh wireless deployments in Europe using these WiFi.net. The battlenets run one vs the other

Ole – Question is de we overlay routing protocol and prefix assignment?
LC – link state is very useful.

LC – how difficult is zeroconfig with OSPF?
AL – not much
JA – can we have one sngle thing that does all for you?
MT – this would make it easier to implement
JA – still you have to define extensions and options
MT – but still one spec

Break

15:45 - 17:30 - Routing Working Session (Fred Baker)
Routing presentation – Fred Baker

Some link layers have special requirements (e,g, 802.15.4)

Analysis documents (IPv4 examples)

Use cases
Single router (simplest)
Multiple routers (needs to be addressed in case user adds them even without realizing)
Multipath networks
Not great for RIP
Good point for OSPF or ISIS – these can help prefix allocation

Jim/Fred: we all have built this
Multihoming
Multiple UL
If you assume BCP 38: RFC 3704 :fix problem of packets on wrong router
ISP will filter packets by source address (BCP 38)

FB: source-based routing would wolve this. You can change the routing at the host, or you can re-send the packet
Lorenzo: do you assume IGP?
FB: You need to solve the problem when you have OSPF lifetime of ~45 min. You can detect loss in 40 sec, which is much better than 45 min. In case of router failure, the best would be for the remaining router to advertise RA with zero lifetime

JA: there are other requirements for multihoming: utility devices require a specific ISP, IPTv from one ISP and Internet from another.
Lorenzo: We might need to do source address routing

Michael: we need to support the case when one ISP goes down
?? (squared shirt): E911 needs to be handled
Lee: the second ISP will get the call and you don’t want it

MT: we are back to 3484 and Japan problem
FB: the argument tells me that we want to stay away from RIP and get closer to OSPF/IS-IS

Protocol Styles

AL/Jim/Lee: the issue with the footprint of the code depends on the vendor and business case. However, the code would eventually would need to be made available

Proactive vs reactive

RIP, OSPF, IS-IS vs AODV and RPL (useful when routes change and appropriate for 802.15.4 networks)
Michael: There could be a use case for both
FB: Today, I would recommend RIPng, OSPF and RPL

Jim: why are the wireless use OLSR

Lorenzo: if we wna tto be compatible with PA we need to support a protocol with TLV
FB: Then IS-IS?
AL: You could do it with OSPF if the information is different to the existing one

Lee: so do we need a dynamic routing protocol?
FB: RIPng would solve use cases 1 2 and 3. For 4 we have the timing issue.
Lee: 30 mint acceptable, but 3 probably. I don’t know if we need to go to the seconds

RD: If you don’t want the full dynamic protocol we have to compare to a DHCPv6 and small protocol, in which case probably the size is not much different
Jim: the implementation details matter here. We need to see the size of the compiled code and the amount of RAM it takes

JA: I’m ok with supporting OSPF and PA distribution. I’m not sure I’m ok with all the multihoming requirements

MT: If you don’t care about these, then what would wyou care
Lorenzo: In v4 no issue, but with v6 this is and will be an issue

MT: Remarks – We are trying to tell how to do v6 in home before the product managers realize they need to do it and decide to do the same that was done in v4

09:00 doors open
09:30 - 12:00 - Architecture Working Session (Timm Chown, Jari Arkko)
12:00 - 13:15 - Lunch

Friday October 7

09:00 doors open
(ISP issues)

Agenda Bashing

9:40 – 10:15 Security (Mark)

Mark Townsley

Automatic Border Detection is essential
For service discovery
For prefix assignment and routing
For security
Default filters (ULAs?)
Firewall

Mike: Smart grid borders?
FB: Utility might want you to use RPL
RD: Smart grid is an application
Lee: At least service discovery and security would be nice to have in the same place
AR:
MT: A link between two routers need to be identified.
Home-home
Home-ISP
Home-Utility network

FB: We can have the home become a customer of a number of networks (upstream). This menas ISP and Grid are outside. Outside can be to 1) Internet and/or 2) services
Japanese TV still a different animal
MT: We might want to give some naming to these borders

Detect incpming packets.
Allow incoming conections from your home
Allow incoming connections from internet

Providing borders with ULAs we can define this
“Local” security boundary defined by:
ULAs
Link-local
Prefix pushed down by R
Magic?

Jim: state has to be distributed in case there are multiple routers
Mike: LAN party? With smartphones today people can roam to your home LAN and get access to your content (e.g. photos)?
Lee: we need an authorization mechanism for L2 connectivity
Lorenzo: Security is L7. For L3, visitor in your house is the same network
Ole:
Mike: RAs will have to carry the ULAs
JA: If service differentiation exist. Do we have quipment
James W: Some applications make sure that they are talking to a link local address.
Lorenzo: Today with v4 we cannot limit access to link local
Sqare???: xbox would do application level discovery
MT: we are talking about single-homed, multiple routers, multiple networks, that’s why we are comparing ULA instead of link-local

Advanced Security

Lee: statefull firewall
MT: It is a smart Firewall. IPS: Intruder Protection Security
FB: You don’t need to standardize this
JA: you might need to standardize the format to configure
James Woodward: Is security needed if it doesn’t work
Lee: existing mechanisms are insufficient, however, they are useful
JA: we are defining how to transport magic, not the magic itself
MT: even if we define the content, it still has a place in the architecture definition

Mike: I see UPnP and PCP.
Lee; are we discussing whether we need Advanced seciruty or whether it is in scope difining it?
MT: We agreed that we need to detect borders in general. We might need to define how the borders communicate their existence to neighbours with the protocols.

(*** MT to check this wording and perhaps expand)

(Inserted by MT):

I believe we agreed that the homenet arch document would outline 3 possibilities:

1. “Transparent mode” or “end to end security” mode which may have basic filters for ULAs, but does not restrict traffic flow based on global addresses (e.g., “no firewall”)

2. Simple Security

3. Advanced Security

There was little hope that the group would come to consensus on which of the 3 options would be recommended when a border (e.g., homenet to ISP) was detected, but that at least we should document the 3 alternatives and associated tradeoffs.

10:15 – 12 Naming/Discovery Working Session (Ray and Stuart via Skype)

Michael: Why the difference to sometimes mention devices, sometimes services?
FB: we might need to discover both

FB: in this homenet, these should be resolvable from anywhere within the homenet

Existing Protocols
DNS-SD / mDNS
LLMNR RFC4795
SSDP (UPnP)
SLP RFC2608

All are typically link local only
Unicast DNS
Anything else?

RD: Multicast DNS
Jim: in some cases you might want to do site-local m’cast propagation and in some cases you might not
RD: Extension to site-local addresses for multicast might be needed
FB: then you might need PIM
RD: the question is the group definintion
Ole: This is how m’cast works
Tim: well known addresses are defined, but the scope still is not
Ole: what does this have to do with discovery?
Ray: we need discovery for these
JA: DNS could us a trick to discover some addresses only, in a m’cast fashion
Michael; Are there bozes that work as proxied between unicast DNS and bonjour?
Ray: uncertain

mDNS uses  “.local”
Do we recommend something like a “.site”?

Mike: you can get site local names?
Ray: Names can be resolved even if they cannot be browsed. Given its service, how to reach it, and how to operate it

More namespace

??: should not IETF register .site with IANA?
Ray: at the RFC yes, but this is about single-label names

RD: devices at the edge might name themselves as edge.router.com

JA: is this in scope?

Ray: if we encourage single-labels it would help

JA: Are we then suggesting a change to networks and hosts?

Ray->Olafur: is it worth encouraging their obsolescence
Ray: Recommendation for a single register TLD

Michael: are we going to discuss wall gardens as part of this?
MT: they touch everything

Michael: you don’t know the name, you don’t know the address. One ISP is no issue.
RD: MIF is addressing this issue about DNS selection
Michael: we have to make na,es resolvable
Lorenzo: if two wall gardens register “television” there is nothing you can do. If they register television.ntt then you can resolve. You cannot have these registered
Michael: Trying to reduce the pain of using wall gardens
AR: connection managers can solve this issue
Lorenzo: Only if you control the OS
Michael: but how to get the walled garden info
Lorenzo: if you pay, you get it
Lee: but these services are outside the home

Michael: but if I have to reolve a name, should I resolve the ISP, the NTT television, or my own television. Even if they overlap, it should be the site local television that wins

Break and off-line conclusions

Lunch

Jim Witt – Running Code presentation

Why CeroWrt?

Test platform for bufferfloat work

Development running in OpenWRT

D-link: All APs do m’cast over unicast for 802.11, since you have to associate anyway.

DNSsec issue for time, as you need it to run time, and you need time to run it

http://Cero2.bufferbloat.net/cerowrt

Lorenzo Colitti – Architecture Strawman

Connectivity goals:
No host changes
No NAT anywhere
Allows communication between hosts even if ISP links are down

Routing goals:
Automatic configuration
Addresses
Firewalls
Support arbitrary topologies including loops
Survive loss of any router for any time period
Works regardless of router boot order
No tree topologies like ULA

External connectivity goals
Support multiple uplinks and ingress filetering
Support uplinks that provide partial routing
Walled garden networks
Reasonable startup times

Architecture (possible solution)
One connected network, one naming scheme
Routing protocols hold together
ULA is “inside” the network
Links not in routing protocol (e.g.. ISP with DHCPv6 PD) constitute security boundary

(figure)
Two accesses (CPE), two prefixes /56
ULA /48

Prefix assignment
Mesh routers from /64 from aggregates
Use routing protocol collision detection
Assign /64 to routed interfaces
When aggregate goes away, deprecate /64
Border routers inject aggregates into mesh
DHCPv6 PD
Walled garden
ULA aggregate for local /48
Anchored to one of the routers

RD: Why can’t we do bridging anywhere but except in special cases?
L: because there are special cases
MT: I mentioned bridge where you can and route where you can, but in Quebec people oppose heavily
JA: But I don’t have ULA nor bridging and it works
L: You are not a typical example

Michael: Whaever routing protocol we propose will be well received by enterprises

Routing
Border routers inject destinations into mesh
Ech route has “Acceptable” prefix
Do src+dst routing (s+d, or s, or d)

Security
If you are a BR, you turn on the firewall
Block ULA across border, etc (simple security)
If you hear routing protocol on interface, join the mesh
Secure protocol MD5
Hash WPA

(one password or two buttons is acceptable to a user)

Guest networks
Add attribute to TLV
Indicates string as “guest”
Rely on routers to firewalls between realms?
Or just rely on src+dst routing

MT: this guest network can be the utility, or your neighbor. This is a third case in which between two networks you share some things

Naming
I know nothing about naming
Two possibilities
Local naming anchor similar to ULA anchor, DDNS
Multicast DNS, anyone who has a name answers
For external, walled garden names
BRs get DNS dmoani from DHCPv6
Inject into mesh, like routing aggregates

RD: this is similar to what MIF is doing
Michael: is the host getting connection to several DNSs?
L: Yes, you have to tell the truth to the host
M: once we can provide the prefix, then we can provide the address that will provide the service
L: might need to multicast
L: no way to mandate source address
L: do we require a authDNS? How to get the info to the host about what DNS to use?

Routing protocol
Zero-config
Obviously
Link-state
State convergence
Gives clear idea of who is in a who is out
Src-dst routing
Necessary for multihoming

AL: not easy to have one password because you have to have the same one in all devices
L: I think that if you have a password than you can do it.
Lee: you can say one thing is authorized without telling “the thing” that it is authorized
Michael: your model is that users need to type one password on every box. My model is that they plug things and type only one password. If they need more functionality, then they have to type passwords and do more
AL: random id generation

Japanese activity about home router guidelines
Akira

Guidelines version 1 and 2 (will send URL)

13:30 – 15:30 Architecture Working Session II

Architecture Discussion-Conclusions
Jari Tim

Similar to Lorenzo, but no ULA

Key conclusions and non-conclusions

Conclusions
Focus on running code plus some improvements
We could do baseline version and then add improvements later
Route where you had an IPv4 NAT seems acceptable
Running IPv6 only requires documenting additional considerations
We understand the requirements for prefix assignment in a home network

M: ISPs with two gwys in v4, v6can survive. We can do things that do not work for v4
JA: it is fine, but we should not cause v4 to break
M: we have to document it
MT: it is in the charter
R: is suggestion to only run v6 if v4 doesn’t work
JA: it would be bad to say what to do in v4, but ok to show the problem
Link state routing protocols (OSPF) seems potentially doable to solve prefix assignment and other
LLN, virtual machines, etc can participate or map their internal mechanisms

AL: if you have lossy interfaces they will not participate
Ole: borders across links or borders across nodes
M: It will probably be OSPF
M: I agree LLN, but virtual machine is a router that should be part of the homenet
JA: Agree

M: how to get loop avoidance if devices have another non-homenet below?
L/JA/RD: not an issue
M: machines running multiple instances shown no t use multiple prefixes
If multihoming support, primarily about using right source address and avoid ingress filtering, the rest is up to hosts and applications

AR: Should we not include the DNS?
JA: part of the walled garden etc, yes, we should add that this is the MIF
Not happy with Simple Security
Need to Discover borders

JA: Not clear is labeling is sufficient
MT: you cannot avoid people making errors, so we need an automatic mechanism. Eth to ISP and Eth to PC look the same (LAN/WAN)
JA: are you happy with Lorenzo scheme?
MT: it should be able to advertise something in the protocol
JA: there is nothing today. Is Lorenzo’s solution enough?
M: can’t you try all optional on all ports and then find out?
??: like try a routing protocol and then decide depending on whether it works/not?
JA/MT: Lorenzo’s proposal is good, but need to analyse if there are border cases

Jim: how about if the upstream is a shared link?

Apparently this might be a problem. Need to analyse

Need to do discovery and naming across subnets

Non-conclusions

(To Be Continued by another minute taker…)

Conclusions and Next Steps