Re: [homenet] Request for Comments on New Internet Draft for Homenet WG

Markus Stenberg <markus.stenberg@iki.fi> Fri, 10 October 2014 08:46 UTC

From: Markus Stenberg <markus.stenberg@iki.fi>
Date: Fri, 10 Oct 2014 11:46:12 +0300
To: "Mr. Jaehoon Paul Jeong" <jaehoon.paul@gmail.com>
Cc: homenet@ietf.org, Markus Stenberg <markus.stenberg@iki.fi>
Subject: Re: [homenet] Request for Comments on New Internet Draft for Homenet WG

On 10.10.2014, at 11.14, Mr. Jaehoon Paul Jeong <jaehoon.paul@gmail.com> wrote:
> First, as a basic domain, link-local collision domain is assumed,
> but we can extend it into multiple links (or subnets) naturally
> if a router can work as a proxy for IPv6 hosts.
> That is, if a host tries to autoconfigure its DNS name in a subnet and
> there exists another host with the same DNS name in an adjacent subnet,
> a router interconnecting these two subnets can responds to the DAD
> to tell the first host the duplication of the DNS name due to the second host.

So let us assume my 4 home router topology I use for testing homenet stuff. Does this imply flooding of those ICMPs? Limited by TTL? Something else?

(And it starts to look like L2 bridge at some point.)

> Second, our proposed scheme can be used along with mDNS or SSDP
> for IoT devices (e.g., lamp, door lock, and light sensor) whose capacity
> cannot afford to run mDNS by itself in terms of memory or processor capacity.
> It those tiny IoT devices with IPv6 stack and stateless autoconfiguration functionality,
> they will be able to support the DNS name services without the intervention of a home network administrator.

There are small mdns daemons, and if you do not want full functionality (just names), I am sure it could be even smaller.

To provide a service, you have to be discoverable anyway, and that implies mdns, ssdp, or something else that _will use IP address_ to contact your particular device anyway.

> At least, Device Name Generation (in Section 5.2.1) can be used to generate a DNS name
> for home network devices or IoT devices that run mDNS or SSDP.

Use of sub-domains in mDNS is not allowed I think, or at least implementations behave badly with them. SSDP I cannot remember.

(They are specified to be flatname.local.)

> Third, for DNSSL, DNS suffixes announced by a router within a home network can be restricted
> to a local domain, such as homenet. Since this can be decided by a local policy within a home network,
> we can eliminate the propagation of ISP DNS suffix into a home network.

This implies MUST just to support this, not ‘can’..

And if ISP provides home users with information such as ‘go http://coolservice', having it break suddenly sounds like a bad idea.

Cheers,

-Markus