Re: [hrpc] I-D Action: draft-irtf-hrpc-association-10.txt

Niels ten Oever <mail@nielstenoever.net> Tue, 26 July 2022 21:03 UTC

Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2022 23:03:00 +0200
To: hrpc@irtf.org
From: Niels ten Oever <mail@nielstenoever.net>
Subject: Re: [hrpc] I-D Action: draft-irtf-hrpc-association-10.txt

Hi all,

First of all I would like to thank Nick Doty for a very thorough review of draft-association. Because of the end of semester I have not been able to work on this, but now I think I have addressed all issues except for two, which I hope we can discuss in the session.

Secondly, in his review Nick suggested to merge the two different places where "mailing lists" and "IRC" are mentioned. I would respectfully disagree, because I think the structure of the document is laid out in the methodology:

[methodology]

    In this document, we deepen our exploration of human rights and
    protocols by assessing one specific set of human rights: freedom of
    association and assembly, abbreviated here as FAA.  Our methodology
    for doing so is the following: first, we provide a brief twofold
    literature review addressing the philosophical and legal definitions
    of FAA and how this right has already been interpreted or analyzed in
    the digital context.  This literature review is not exhaustive but
    aims at providing some lines of questioning that could later be used
    for protocol development.  Second, we look at some cases of Internet
    protocols that are relevant to the sub-questions highlighted in the
    literature review and analyze how these protocols facilitate or
    inhibit the right to peaceful assembly and association.

[/methodology]

therefore, the different places where IRC and mailing lists are used, they are used to answer different (sub)questions according to the structure.

More than happy to discuss during the session on Thursday!

Best,

Niels

On 7/26/22 22:47, internet-drafts@ietf.org wrote:

> This draft is a work item of the Human Rights Protocol Considerations RG of the IRTF.
>
>          Title           : Freedom of Association on the Internet
>          Authors         : Niels ten Oever
>                            Gisela Perez de Acha
>                            Stéphane Couture
>                            Mallory Knodel
>    Filename        : draft-irtf-hrpc-association-10.txt
>    Pages           : 34
>    Date            : 2022-07-26
>
> Abstract:
>     This document explores whether there is a relation between the
>     Internet architecture and the ability of people to exercise their
>     rights to peaceful assembly and association online.  It does so by
>     asking the question: what are the protocol development considerations
>     for freedom of assembly and association?  The Internet increasingly
>     mediates our lives, our relationships, and our ability to exercise
>     our human rights.  As a global assemblage, the Internet provides a
>     public space, yet it is predominantly built on private
>     infrastructure.  Since Internet protocols and architecture play a
>     central role in the management, development, and use of the Internet,
>     we analyze the relation between protocols, architecture, and the
>     rights to assemble and associate to mitigate infringements on those
>     rights.  This document concludes that the way in which infrastructure
>     is designed and implemented impacts people's ability to exercise
>     their freedom of assembly and association.  It is therefore
>     recommended that the the potential impacts of Internet technologies
>     should be assessed, reflecting recommendations of various UN bodies
>     and norms.  Finally, the document considers both the limitations on
>     changing association and impact of "forced association" in the
>     context of online platforms.

> https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-irtf-hrpc-association/
>
> There is also an htmlized version available at:
> https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-irtf-hrpc-association-10

> https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-irtf-hrpc-association-10
>

> Internet-Drafts are also available by rsync at rsync.ietf.org::internet-drafts

Niels ten Oever, PhD
Postdoctoral Researcher - Media Studies Department - University of Amsterdam
Affiliated Faculty - Digital Democracy Institute - Simon Fraser University
Non-Resident Fellow 2022-2023 - Center for Democracy & Technology
Associated Scholar - Centro de Tecnologia e Sociedade - Fundação Getúlio Vargas
Research Fellow - Centre for Internet and Human Rights - European University Viadrina

Vice chair - Global Internet Governance Academic Network (GigaNet)

W: https://nielstenoever.net
E: mail@nielstenoever.net
T: @nielstenoever
P/S/WA: +31629051853
PGP: 2458 0B70 5C4A FD8A 9488 643A 0ED8 3F3A 468A C8B3

Read my latest article on understanding power in standardization in the Journal of Standardisation here: https://journals.open.tudelft.nl/jos/article/view/6205/5361