Re: [hrpc] Patents in draft-tenoever-hrpc-research-05

Niels ten Oever <niels@article19.org> Mon, 19 September 2016 05:14 UTC

To: hrpc@irtf.org
From: Niels ten Oever <niels@article19.org>
Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2016 17:13:56 +1200
Subject: Re: [hrpc] Patents in draft-tenoever-hrpc-research-05

Hi Stephane,

First of all, thanks a lot for your extensive review! It was really
helpful. I agreed with all point, except for this one, so let's discuss:

On 09/19/2016 07:38 AM, Stephane Bortzmeyer wrote:
> Section 5.3.2.1.7 says:
>
>> Are you aware of any patents that would prevent your standard from
>> being fully implemented?
>
> First, this is already covered in length in other IETF documents (RFC
> 3979, RFC 6701, etc) note wells and things like that. And it is well
> implemented by the tools we use, such as the datatracker. IMHO, we
> could simply drop this sentence: the average RFC author is already
> well aware there are issus with patents.

True, but also other issues that are documented have been discussed in
the draft. Patents can have an impact on human rights, so why not
mentioned them?

> If we insist on keeping it, I would disagree with it because it seems
> to imply we should not standardize patented technologies. If so, we
> would standardize nothing: almost every sensible algorithm is
> patented. Most (all?) software patents are futile and groundless (not
> to mention the fact they are valid only in some countries). If we take
> them at face value, we would tie our hands.

The question does not say one should not implement because of patents
but asks whether the patent 'would prevent your standard from being
fully implemented'. So it asks whether the limits the use (which is not
necessarily the case).

I've added a reference to RFC3979 and EFC6701, hope that helps.

Happy to discuss and thanks again for your review!

Best,

Niels