Re: [hrpc] Summary ID on Human Rights presentation & next steps

Mallory Knodel <mallory@apc.org> Tue, 20 January 2015 17:21 UTC

Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2015 12:21:31 -0500
From: Mallory Knodel <mallory@apc.org>
To: hrpc@article19.io
Subject: Re: [hrpc] Summary ID on Human Rights presentation & next steps

Hi joana

Congrats on sparking an interesting debate at the IETF in Hawaii. I
found all comments in the transcript useful, even those that questioned
the foundation of the research. In particular, I thought the suggestion
to analyze RFCs carefully for assumptions of rights is a better approach
than searching for overt mentions of rights. Interviews in Dallas could
certainly give more weight to the findings if we take this approach.

Questioning the apolitics of protocols is really a fundamental goal of
this work. I think while difficult, it would also be extremely
productive to continue to engage with folks in the community who feel
technology should strive to be apolitical, thereby developing a very
strong counterposition.

Very happy to lend a hand with this work,
-Mallory