Re: [http-auth] [kitten] [saag] AD sponsoring draft-hansen-scram-sha256

Karthikeyan Bhargavan <karthikeyan.bhargavan@inria.fr> Sat, 23 May 2015 06:07 UTC

From: Karthikeyan Bhargavan <karthikeyan.bhargavan@inria.fr>
Date: Sat, 23 May 2015 08:07:17 +0200
To: Simon Josefsson <simon@josefsson.org>
Cc: "kitten@ietf.org" <kitten@ietf.org>, "http-auth@ietf.org" <http-auth@ietf.org>, "saag@ietf.org" <saag@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [http-auth] [kitten] [saag] AD sponsoring draft-hansen-scram-sha256

>> We have a solution for that:
>> https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-tls-session-hash

If a TLS connection uses the tls-session-hash, the tls-unique channel binding becomes
a good channel identifier for use in SCRAM (avoiding Triple Handshake-style attacks).
So either SCRAM could require tls-session-hash, or we could update RFC5929 to require it
(in the same way that it already requires RFC5746).

I have a separate question: would there be value in defining a new session-level channel binding (updating rfc5929)
based on tls-session-hash?

The advantage would be to obtain authenticated session resumption.
That is, once a client has used SCRAM to authenticate on one connection, it can reuse that credential
on all resumed connections, until a new full handshake is performed. I don’t know how commonly
we use session resumption in non-web scenarios, but the vast majority of connections initiated by
web browsers use abbreviated handshakes.

Best,
Karthik