Re: [http-auth] Tunisian/Syrian phishing attacks

Yaron Sheffer <yaronf@gmx.com> Sat, 11 June 2011 15:09 UTC

Date: Sat, 11 Jun 2011 18:08:45 +0300
From: Yaron Sheffer <yaronf@gmx.com>
To: http-auth@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [http-auth] Tunisian/Syrian phishing attacks

Hi Marsh,

a bit of a late response, but I'd like to offer that these two attacks
could in fact have been countered by a combination of several ideas that
we're already familiar with.

Let's assume the following:
1. Users are authenticated to Facebook with a password, using a
zero-knowledge password protocol (ZKPP), with authentication at the TLS
or the HTTP layer.
2. In any case, authentication is crypto-bound into the TLS-protected
session (OK, let's assume Facebook sessions are TLS-protected...).
3. Passwords are stored in the browser's password manager. The browser
doesn't "paste" the password into a form; rather, the browser only
releases the password when going through the ZKPP. This is done behind
the scenes, the user doesn't get to see the plaintext password or even a
row of asterisks.
4. This is further hardened with an HSTS-like mechanism: only use this
site if you can perform mutual authentication with it.
5. Also, users are trained *not* to enter their passwords explicitly,
and will be suspicious when the see a "please enter your password" page.

I suggest that this combination is well protected against phishing
attacks, without having to rely on trusted JavaScript code or on fancy
user interface elements.

Thanks,
     Yaron