RE: [Hubmib] My review of: draft-ietf-hubmib-efm-cu-mib-06.txt

"Edward Beili" <EdwardB@actelis.com> Mon, 19 February 2007 13:04 UTC

Subject: RE: [Hubmib] My review of: draft-ietf-hubmib-efm-cu-mib-06.txt
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2007 04:10:50 +0200
From: Edward Beili <EdwardB@actelis.com>
To: "Wijnen, Bert (Bert)" <bwijnen@alcatel-lucent.com>
Cc: "Dan Romascanu (E-mail)" <dromasca@avaya.com>, Hub Mib <hubmib@ietf.org>

Bert,

I've attached the next version of the efm-cu-mib draft, together with the extracted MIB modules.
This version implements most of your comments, see below for the full list of changes.

Regards,
-E.

[EB] Corrected as suggested.

>  W: f(IF-CAP-STACK-MIB.mi2), (195,17) Row "ifInvCapStackEntry" does not
>     have a consistent indexing scheme - index items must be in same order
>     as used in INDEX clause for "base row" ifStackEntry
>  E: f(IF-CAP-STACK-MIB.mi2), (291,13) Item "ifInvStackGroup" should be IMPORTed

>  Warning is OK I think, but pls fix error.

[EB] Corrected as suggested.

>- You may want to add a note-to-rfcs-editor to:
>  [I-D.ietf-hubmib-efm-mib]
>             Squire, M., "Definitions and Managed Objects for OAM
>             Functions on Ethernet Like Interfaces",
>             draft-ietf-hubmib-efm-mib-04 (work in progress),
>             March 2006.
>
>  [I-D.ietf-hubmib-rfc3636bis]
>             Beili, E., "Definitions of Managed Objects for IEEE 802.3
>             Medium Attachment Units (MAUs)",
>             draft-ietf-hubmib-rfc3636bis-05 (work in progress),
>             July 2006.
>
>  in which you ask them to replace with actual RFC numbers if those
>  are available at time of publication.

[EB] Done.

>- note that if you do a revision, you must use new copyright
>  and no longer
>   Copyright (C) The Internet Society (2006).
>  See my earlier post to the hubmib list

[EB] Done.

>- Did we resolve the use of Rowstatus for the ifCapStackTable
>  and ifInvCapStackTable? In any event, pls re-check the
>  feedback we've got on that. I do not think that what we
>  currently have in the MIB module is acceptable.

[EB] Replaced with TruthValue.

>- In order to avoid any possible future name clashed, I would
>  prefer it if we rename Textual Convnetions:
>
>     ProfileIndex ::= TEXTUAL-CONVENTION
>     ProfileIndexOrZero ::= TEXTUAL-CONVENTION
>     ProfileIndexList ::= TEXTUAL-CONVENTION
>     TruthValueOrUnknown ::= TEXTUAL-CONVENTION
>
>  such that they are prefixed with Efm, so I would name them:
>
>     EfmProfileIndex ::= TEXTUAL-CONVENTION
>     EfmProfileIndexOrZero ::= TEXTUAL-CONVENTION
>     EfmProfileIndexList ::= TEXTUAL-CONVENTION
>     EfmTruthValueOrUnknown ::= TEXTUAL-CONVENTION
>
>  this is also common practice in most (if not all) other
>  IETF MIB modules these days

[EB] Done.

>- for efmCuPAFAdminState you describe a few operations that
>  should be ignore when tried. I am not sure how to inerpret
>  that and what would happen when a SNMP SET is received.
>  I would think it is better to say the need to be rejected.
>  (that is, cause an error on an SNMP SET).

[EB] Agreed. All 'ignored' are replaced with 'rejected'

>- for
>     efmCuPAFDiscoveryCode  OBJECT-TYPE
>       SYNTAX      PhysAddress
>       MAX-ACCESS  read-write
>       STATUS      current
>       DESCRIPTION
>         "PAF Discovery Code of the EFMCu port (PCS).
>         A unique 6 Byte long code used by the Discovery function, when
>         PAF is supported.
>         PCS ports incapable of supporting PAF SHALL return a value of
>         all zeroes. Attempts to change this object SHALL be ignored in
>         this case.
>         This object MUST be instantiated for the -O subtype PCS before
>         writing operations on the efmCuPAFRemoteDiscoveryCode
>         (Set_if_Clear and Clear_if_Same) are performed by PMEs
>         associated with the PCS.
>         The value of this object is read-only for -R port subtypes.
>         The initial value of this object for -R ports after reset
>         is 0. This value may be changed as a result of writing
>         operation on efmCuPAFRemoteDiscoveryCode variable of remote
>         PME of -O subtype, connected to one of the local PMEs
>         associated with the PCS.
>
>         Discovery MUST be performed when the link is Down.
>         Attempts to change this object MUST be rejected with the error
>         inconsistentValue if the link is Up or Initializing.
>
>         The PAF Discovery code maps to the local Discovery code
>         variable in PAF (note that it does not have a corresponding
>         Clause 45 register)"
>       REFERENCE
>         "[802.3ah] 61.2.2.8.3, 61.2.2.8.4, 45.2.6.6.1"
>       ::= { efmCuPortConfEntry 2 }
>
>  I am trying to figure out what made you choose PhysAddress as the
>  SYNTAX for the discovery code. Can you explain, or point me to
>  the 802.3ah clause that explains/justifies that?

[EB] The remote discovery code is defined by 802.3ah as a 6-octets (48-bit)
value, see 45.2.6.8. Clause 61A.2 actually suggests to use a MAC
address for the discovery operation, in order to ensure its 'local uniqueness'.
Since PhysAddress represents media- or physical-level addresses it was
a natural choice. I've added the size attribute to indicate it's length.

>  I wonder what you mean with "the value of this object is read-only"
>  The value has to be a PhysAddress ( 6 octets) value, no?
>  If you mean that for -R port subtypes the object cannot allow write
>  access, then I would say it in terms aka:
>
>         The initial value of this object for -R port subtypes after
>         reset is all zeroes. For such -R ports, the value of this
>         object cannot be changed directly. The value may be changed
>         as a result of a writing operation on the
>         efmCuPAFRemoteDiscoveryCode object of a remote PME of
>         -O subtype, connected to one of the local PMEs
>         associated with the PCS.
>
>  I hope I understood the intention and reworded it properly.

[EB] Corrected as suggested.

>  These day we prefer to not hard-wire SNMP error codes in DESCRIPTION
>  clause, or if we do, then as an example (A MIB could be used by non
>  SNMP protocols). SO I suggest
>
>         Discovery MUST be performed when the link is Down.
>         Attempts to change this object MUST be rejected (in case of
>         SNMP with the error  inconsistentValue) if the link is Up
>         or Initializing.

[EB] Corrected - inserted '(in case of SNMP' to all occurrences of
'with the error'.

>- For efmCuAdminProfile I read in DESCRIPTION clause:
>
>          This object is writable and readable for the -O subtype
>          (2BaseTL-O or 10PassTS-O) EFMCu ports. It is unavailable for
>          the -R  subtype (2BaseTL-R or 10PassTS-R) ports.
>
>  what does it mean that this object is "unavailable"
>  Do you not want it instatntiated in that case, or do you want
>  its value to be ignored/irrelevant? Pls be specific.
>
>  You use that at various other places as well. Pls check and fix.

[EB] Replaced 'unavailable' with 'unsupported'

>- For
>     efmCuPAFRemoteDiscoveryCode  OBJECT-TYPE
>       SYNTAX      PhysAddress
>       MAX-ACCESS  read-write
>       STATUS      current
>       DESCRIPTION
>         "PAF Remote Discovery Code of the PME port at CO.
>         A 6 Byte long Discovery Code of the peer PCS connected via
>         the PME.
>         Reading this object results in a Discovery Get operation.
>         Writing a zero to this object results in a Discovery
>         Clear_if_Same operation (the value of efmCuPAFDiscoveryCode
>         at the peer PCS SHALL be the same as efmCuPAFDiscoveryCode of
>         the local PCS associated with the PME for the operation to
>         succeed).
>         Writing a non-zero value to this object results in a
>         Discovery Set_if_Clear operation.
>         This object does not exist in CPE port subtypes. A zero length
>         octet string SHALL be returned for CPE port subtypes and also
>         when PAF aggregation is not enabled.
>
>  What is "writing a zero value" ??
>  Is that 6 octets, all zeroes?
>  Or one octet conatining zero,
>  or the zero length octet-string?
>  What means "does not exist" is it not instanctiated? I guess so.
>  pls be clear. You do get gaps in the tables if some objects are
>  not instantiated. Might be easier (on NM apps) if there was
>  a value (like all zeros, or zerolength string) that can be ignored.

[EB] Reworded as follows:
       This object is irrelevant in CPE port (-R) subtypes: in this
       case a zero length octet string SHALL be returned on an
       attempt to read this object, writing to this object SHALL
       be ignored.

>- I believe I have seen this SYNTAX
>       SYNTAX      INTEGER {
>         ieee2BaseTLO(1),
>         ieee2BaseTLR(2),
>         ieee10PassTSO(3),
>         ieee10PassTSR(4)
>       }
>  several times. Candidate for a Textual Convention?

[EB] No actually all occurences are different- there are:
efmCuPmeAdminSubType with 7 enums,
efmCuPmeSubTypesSupported with 4 bitmap positions and
efmCuPmeOperSubType with 4 enums.

>- for efmCuPme2BRegion I wonder if we ever (soon?) expect more
>  regions? If so, maybe we ought to make this a TC?
>  How will regions be added?

[EB] Regions for G.SHDSL are defined by the ITU-T in G.991.2 recommendation.
The last revision of this document was done in 2003, and this version
was used as a reference for the IEEE 802.3ah 2BASE-TL specification.
There's no reason to believe that a new region would ever be defined
(unless Japanese decide to play hard and revive this issue:), in any
case even if this happens it would require a re-issue of 802.3 as the
regions are hard-coded in a Clause 45 register.

>- For efmCuPme2BProfileRowStatus I wonder if any (all?) of the objects
>  in a row can be changed while the row is active? Would that not
>  be disruptive? In any event, pls specify if any (which( objects
>  can be changed or stat eif none can be change in active state.

[EB] I believe that 'read-create' in MAX-ACCESS clause of all the
objects in a row (except for the 'not-accessible' index) already
indicates that in order to change an object in a particular profile,
one would have to create a new one, change the reference(s) from the
old profile to a new one and remove the old (inactive) profile if not
needed anymore.

>  Same question for efmCuPme2BsModeRowStatus, although there a change
>  is probably not disruptive.
>  Pls check all occurences of RowStatus

[EB] Same answer as above.

>- I really wonder if we are doing a smart thing by give the same labels
>  to the various enums in
>          efmCuPme10PBandplanPSDMskProfile  INTEGER,
>          efmCuPme10PUPBOReferenceProfile   INTEGER,
>          efmCuPme10PBandNotchProfiles      BITS,
>          efmCuPme10PPayloadURateProfile    INTEGER,
>          efmCuPme10PPayloadDRateProfile    INTEGER,
>  They have different meanings, don't they? So would it not be better
>  to differentiate between the labels of the neumerations?

[EB] If we take it to extreme why not turning all enums to TCs?
Personally I prefer inline enums (if they are not repeated of course
which would make they perfectly good candidates for TCs) as they
list the values and their meaning in the description for the object -
less jumps between the object and a TC when reading the MIB.

>- For OBBJECT-GROUP definitions, one is NOT supposed to state requirements
>  or optional attributes. Such things (if a group if required or
>optional)
>  are stated in the MODULE-COMPLIANCE.
>  The OBJECT0GROUP macro is ONLY intended to group objects that logically
>  fit together in order to model something.
>  Sof (for example):
>      efmCuBasicGroup OBJECT-GROUP
>        OBJECTS {
>          efmCuPAFSupported,
>          efmCuAdminProfile,
>          efmCuTargetDataRate,
>          efmCuTargetSnrMgn,
>          efmCuAdaptiveSpectra,
>          efmCuPortSide,
>          efmCuFltStatus
>        }
>        STATUS      current
>        DESCRIPTION
>          "A collection of objects required for all of EFMCu ports."
>        ::= { efmCuGroups 1 }
>
>  Sould NOT state that these objects are "required". I would phrase
>  it as:
>          "A collection of objects reperesenting management information
>           that is common for all of EFMCu ports."
>
>  The fact that is is REQUIRED for all EFMCu ports is expressed in
>      efmCuCompliance MODULE-COMPLIANCE
>        STATUS      current
>        DESCRIPTION
>           ... snip ...
>        MODULE  -- this module
>          MANDATORY-GROUPS {
>            efmCuBasicGroup,
>  That is, here it is listed in the MANDATORY-GROUPS clause and so that
>  inidicated that it is required.
>
>  Pls try to rephrase for all OBJECT-GROUPs

[EB] Done.

>- With regard to naming, I am somewhat worried about the conventions that
>  are used (or maybe those that are not used). I always find it smarter
>  to have all columnar objects in a table prefixed with a string that
>  makes it clear to which table the object belongs. For example for
>  the efmCuPortConfTable:
>
>     EfmCuPortConfEntry ::=
>       SEQUENCE {
>         efmCuPAFAdminState               INTEGER,
>         efmCuPAFDiscoveryCode            PhysAddress,
>         efmCuAdminProfile                ProfileIndexList,
>         efmCuTargetDataRate              Unsigned32,
>         efmCuTargetSnrMgn                Unsigned32,
>         efmCuAdaptiveSpectra             TruthValue,
>         efmCuThreshLowRate               Unsigned32,
>         efmCuLowRateCrossingEnable       TruthValue
>       }
>
>  I would personally prefer the columns to be alll prefixed with
>  efmCuPortConf, so I would have named them as follows:
>
>     EfmCuPortConfEntry ::=
>       SEQUENCE {
>         efmCuPortConfPAFAdminState               INTEGER,
>         efmCuPortConfPAFDiscoveryCode            PhysAddress,
>         efmCuPortConfAdminProfile                ProfileIndexList,
>         efmCuPortConfTargetDataRate              Unsigned32,
>         efmCuPortConfTargetSnrMgn                Unsigned32,
>         efmCuPortConfAdaptiveSpectra             TruthValue,
>         efmCuPortConfThreshLowRate               Unsigned32,
>         efmCuPortConfLowRateCrossingEnable       TruthValue
>       }
>
>  This also holds true for most (all of) the other tables.
>  My suggested naming convention above has (in my view) 2 advantages:
>
>    - less change for conflicting names.
>      I will admit, that this is not too big a risk, since this is
>      all within the same MIB module. Nevertheless, I think it just
>      makes it easier if any additions need to be made in the future.
>    - easier for people to see which objects belong to which tables.
>      I think this is a strong point. But I also understand it is
>      somewhat subjective.
>
>   I can accept if the WG and/or editor/author tells me that I am far
>   too late with this type of comment. It of course requires a quite
>   massive editorial change. So, although I think it would improve
>   the human-friendlyness of the MIB module, I will not insist on
>   this change.

[EB] While I tend to agree with the advantages of the naming scheme
you proposed, I would like to ask to be forgiven and leave the names
as they are now, due to the following rasons:
- It is a big change (considering also that there are
at least 2 experimental implementations of this draft that I know of)
- Some time ago I was asked to stick with the RFC 2578/2579
recommendation of 32 char restriction - the proposed change would make
some names to be longer than 32 chars. (Yes, I just read RFC 4181 view
on that - the 32 character restriction recommendation of SMIv2 SHOULD
be set aside in favor of promoting clarity and uniqueness). However it
could be argued that it is easier to remember
efmCuLowRateCrossingEnable vs. efmCuPortConfLowRateCrossingEnable

>NITS:
>
>- the RFC editor probably wants you to expand acronyms when they are
>  used for the first time. Pls check you do it for all acronyms.
>  I found for example VDSL, DMT, SHDSL acronyms which have not
>  been expanded.
>  There may be others. Pls check.

[EB] All acronyms are expanded.

>- For:
>      ifCapStackEntry  OBJECT-TYPE
>        SYNTAX      IfCapStackEntry
>        MAX-ACCESS  not-accessible
>        STATUS      current
>        DESCRIPTION
>          "Information on a particular relationship between two
>          sub-layers, specifying that one sub-layer runs on 'top' of the
>          other sub-layer. Each sub-layer corresponds to a conceptual
>
>  I wonder if we should: s/runs on top/can run on 'top'/
>  After all, it is a capability, which not necessarily is used, right?

[EB] Right, replaced to "MAY possibly run on top".

>- for efmCuPAFDiscoveryCode you speak about a "6 Byte code"
>  If this is common 802.3 terminology, then I guess it is OK.
>  I know that some people in the IETF prefer to use 'octet' instead
>  of 'byte'.

[EB] Corrected to "octets".

>- This table
>     efmCuPmeStatusTable OBJECT-TYPE
>       SYNTAX      SEQUENCE OF EfmCuPmeStatusEntry
>       MAX-ACCESS  not-accessible
>       STATUS      current
>       DESCRIPTION
>         "This table provides common status information of EFMCu
>         2BASE-TL/10PASS-TS PME ports. Status information specific
>         to 10PASS-TS PME is represented in efmCuPme10PStatusTable.
>
>         This table contains live data from the equipment. As such,
>         it is NOT persistent."
>       ::= { efmCuPme 3 }
>
>  Is cmposed of just read-only objects. So the last sentence of the
>  DESCRIPTION clause is not needed. In general people expect (I think)
>  writable objects when they see such a ststament.

[EB] You are right. However when one is looking at the description
clause of a 'not-accessible' table, the only way to determine if it is
composed of read-only objects is to check the Max access value of
each and every object in the table. I believe that the 'NOT persistent'
sentence helps reader to understand the nature of a table quicker, so
I would leave it as is.

>- For efmCuPme2BProfileDescr I think I would change the uppercase MAY
>  to a lowercase may.
>  Same for efmCuPme10PProfileDescr.
>  There may be other places. Pls check RFC2119 to understand how/when
>  capilaized terms are needed. They are for COMPLIANCE, the two
>  objects above have no special compliance requirments for content
>  except for adhering to the SYNTAX, right?

[EB] right, changed to lowercase 'may', Also changed in
efmCuPme2BsModeDescr.

>TYPOs:
>- typo in table 1:
>  | ifIndex       | Interface index. Note that each PME and each PCS  |
>  |               | in the EFMCu PHY MUST have a unique index, as     |
>  |               | there some PCS and PME specific attributes        |
>  |               | accessible only on the PCS or PME level.          |
>
>  s/there some/there are some/ I think

[EB] Corrected.

>- 3rd para of sect 4.3:
>   A specific configuration or administrative profile is assigned to a
>   specific PME via efmCuPmeAdminProfile object.  If
>   efmCuPmeAdminProfile is zero, then efmCuAdminProfile object of the
>   PCS port, connected to the PME, determines the configuration profile
>   (or a list of possible profiles) for that PME.  This mechanism allows
>   to specify a common profile(s) for all PMEs connected to the PCS
>   port, with an ability to change individual PME profiles by setting
>   efmCuPmeAdminProfile object, which overwrites profile set by
>   efmCuAdminProfile.
>
>  s/overwrites profile set by/overwrites the profile set by/
>  I think.

[EB] Corrected.

[EB] Corrected.

> - Page 7, a nit:
>            // pottentially be connected to the PCS
>   s/pottentially/potentially/
>            // for PCS[i] and there room for another PME in the
>   s/there room/there is room/ ??

[EB] Corrected

> - A nit/typo on page 10:
>    | ifIndex       | Interface index. Note that each PME and
> each PCS  |
>    |               | in the EFMCu PHY MUST have a unique
> index, as     |
>    |               | there some PCS and PME specific
> attributes        |
>    |               | accessible only on the PCS or PME level.
>
>   s/as there some/as there are some/ ??

[EB] Corrected

> - a type in 2nd para in sect 4.2
>
>    The PME profiles are defined in efmCuPme2BProfileTable and
>    efmCu10PProfileTable for 2BASE-TL and 10PASS-TS PMEs respectively.
>
>   I think: s/efmCu10PProfileTable/efmCuPme10PProfileTable/
>   So insert "Pme"

[EB] Corrected.

> - SMICng IF-CAP-STACK-MIB tells me:
>
>     W: f(IF-CAP-STACK-MIB.mi2), (195,17) Row "ifInvCapStackEntry"
>        does not have a consistent indexing scheme - index items must
>        be in same order as used in INDEX clause for "base row"
>        ifStackEntry
>
>   The above is OK, it is an INVERTED table.
>   So we can ignore the warning.
>
>     E: f(IF-CAP-STACK-MIB.mi2), (291,13) Item "ifInvStackGroup"
>        should be IMPORTed
>
>   I think that error should be fixed and we shoul dimport that group.

[EB] Already done.

> - SMICNg EFM-CU-MIB tells me:
>
>     W: f(EFM-CU-MIB.mi2), (300,21) Item "efmCuPAFDiscoveryCode" should
>        have SIZE specified
>
>    Do we know a reasonable size for this? In the pseudo code on
> pages 7/8
>    it speaks about a 6-byte (octet) code. And so does the DESCRIPTION
>    clause. Is it always fixed to 6 octets?
>    Now and in future? If so, I would suggest to use
>
>         SYNTAX      PhysAddress (SIZE(6))
>
>     W: f(EFM-CU-MIB.mi2), (1178,21) Item "efmCuPAFRemoteDiscoveryCode"
>        should have SIZE specified
>
>    Same story for the above.

[EB] Already done.

>     W: f(EFM-CU-MIB.mi2), (2925,23) For "efmCuPmeSubTypesSupported",
>        syntax is identical
>
>    This is probably OK, although it looks a bit weird:
>           OBJECT      efmCuPmeSubTypesSupported
>           SYNTAX      BITS {
>             ieee2BaseTLO(0),
>             ieee2BaseTLR(1),
>             ieee10PassTSO(2),
>             ieee10PassTSR(3)
>           }
>           DESCRIPTION
>             "Support for all subtypes is not required.
> However at least
>             one value SHALL be supported"

[EB] Left as is.

> - W.r.t. the SYNTAX of objects ifCapStackStatus and
> ifInvCapStackStatus
>   I think it would be much better to use a SYNTAX of TruthValue.
>   See my separate posting on this topic to the HubMIB WG list.

[EB] Agreed to use TruthValue. Added a note that the value of false
 (theoreticallypossible but temporary out of service), should not be
confused with a non-existent row (absolutely impossible).

> - I believe that instead of
>
>       ifCapStackConformance OBJECT IDENTIFIER
>       ::= { ifCapStackObjects 3 }
>
>   It would be better to adhere to the strcuture suggested by
> RFC4181 page 38
>   and so use instead:
>
>      ifCapStackConformance  OBJECT IDENTIFIER ::= { ifCapStackMIB 2 }

[EB] Agreed, restructured according to RFC4181, Appendix D: Suggested OID Layout

> - In the Security Considerations section I see capitalized MAY
>   which I think is not what RFC2119 intended. Unless you can
>   explain to me why this capilaized MAY makes sense, I would
>   prefer if we change it to just lowercase "may" for all
>   occurences in the Security Considerations section.

[EB] All capitalized MAY in the "Security Considerations" section are
changed to lowercase "may"

> - 2nd para on page 83 (a NIT):
>     Even if the network itself is secure (for example by using IPSec),
>   pls change "IPSec" into "IPsec", that is a lower case "s".
>   The current MIB security template has it fixed. I know that the
>   Security ADs want/prefer the proper spelling.

[EB] Done.

> - IANA Considerations.
>   Since you state that some values SHALL be defined in the
>   IANA-MAU-MIB, I think that you make rfc3636bis a normative
>   reference, while it is now listed under informative. And by making
>   that document normative, you/we automagically make sure that this
>   efmCuMIB will not get published before 3636bis.
>
>   You must also request/ask (in IANA COnsiderations section) that
>   IANA assigns two new OID branches for
>
>      ifCapStackMIB ::= { mib-2 ZZZ }
>
>      efmCuMIB  ::= { mib-2 YYY }

[EB] Corrected

> - If/wehen we do a revision, we must adhere to new boilerplate.
>   That means we must change all occurences of:
>
>      Copyright (C) The Internet Society (2006).
>
>   into
>
>      Copyright (C) The IETF Trust (2006).
>
>   If you are using xml2rfc, thsi can be achieved with:
>
>         ipr="full3978update"
>
>   You can/could not yet know this. I know that this starts on Nov 1st
>   (because I was asked to update the IDChecklist.html.

[EB] Corrected

[EB] Additional changes:
- Replaced Dan Romascanu with Bert Wijnen as the WG chair
- Fixed a typo in the compliance statement for efmCuPmeAdminSubType:
ieee2BaseTSR -> ieee10PassTSO

The following email exchange is provided here for historical purposes