[Hubmib] Re: PLS review BEFORE 10 Jan 2007 - IANA-MAU-MIB under mib-2 (rfc3636bis)

"C. M. Heard" <heard@pobox.com> Wed, 03 January 2007 15:18 UTC

Date: Wed, 03 Jan 2007 07:18:09 -0800
From: "C. M. Heard" <heard@pobox.com>
To: Hub Mib <hubmib@ietf.org>
Subject: [Hubmib] Re: PLS review BEFORE 10 Jan 2007 - IANA-MAU-MIB under mib-2 (rfc3636bis)

On Wed, 3 Jan 2007 12:23:15 +0100 Bert Wijnen wrote:
> draft-ietf-hubmib-rfc3636bis-05.txt is in the RFC-editor Queue
> and is in a stage where IANA wants to make the final
> registration for the IANA-MAU-MIB.
> During that step, we found that the document
>    draft-ietf-hubmib-rfc3636bis-05.txt
> suggest to put this new IANA-maintained MIB module under
>    ::= { mib-2 snmpDot3MauMgt(26) 7 } -- mauMod+1
>
> It is not a (fatal) technical flaw, but...
> sofar, ALL IANA maintained MIB modules are located
> directly under mib-2. I missed this during my reviews.
>
> The proposal now is to make this MIB module location inline
> with all other IANA maintained MIB modules and so to ask
> for assignment as follows:
>
>   IANA-MAU-MIB
>   .. snip ..
>   ianaMauMIB MODULE-IDENTITY
>    .. snip ..
>    ::= { mib-2 nnn } -- to be assigned by IANA
>
> Pls speak up BEFORE 10 Jan 2007 if you see an issue with this
> (late) change.
> Silence will (this time) be interpreted as no-objection.

Here is some perspective from the MIB Doctor reviewer.

Although I recommended during my early reviews to put the
MODULE-IDENTITY value for the IANA-MAU-MIB under mib-2, I
also noted that it is not a technical flaw to have it
set to { mib-2 snmpDot3MauMgt(26) 7 }.  So I let it pass
as long as the assignment was noted with the appropriate
ASN.1 comments in the MAU-MIB, which "owns" the
{ mib-2 snmpDot3MauMgt(26) } OID branch, which was done.

I am frankly uneasy about making such last-minute changes
if they are not necessary to correct technical flaws, as
they tend to introduce errors or inconsistencies elsewhere.
If the WG does agree to make the change to the IANA-MAU-MIB
MODULE-IDENTITY assignment, then the following change also
needs to be made to the ASN.1 comments in the MAU-MIB:

OLD:
    -- the following OID is the MODULE-IDENTITY value
    -- for this MIB module:   { snmpDot3MauMgt 6 }

    -- the following OID is the MODULE-IDENTITY value
    -- for the IANA-MAU-MIB:  { snmpDot3MauMgt 7 }

NEW:
    -- the following OID is the MODULE-IDENTITY value
    -- for this MIB module:   { snmpDot3MauMgt 6 }

The text to be removed is at the bottom of p. 12 and the
top of p. 13 of draft-ietf-hubmib-rfc3636bis-05.txt.

Mike