Re: [hybi] WebSocket connection throttling clarification requested

Bjoern Hoehrmann <derhoermi@gmx.net> Wed, 23 January 2013 21:02 UTC

From: Bjoern Hoehrmann <derhoermi@gmx.net>
To: Adam Rice <ricea@chromium.org>
Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2013 22:02:11 +0100
Cc: hybi@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [hybi] WebSocket connection throttling clarification requested

* Adam Rice wrote:
>I would like to ask for clarification on section 4.1 item 2 of WebSocket
>RFC 6455. It reads (emphasis mine):
>
>2. If the client already has a WebSocket connection to the remote host (IP
>address) *identified by /host/ and port /port/ pair,* even if the remote
>host is known by another name, the client MUST wait until that connection
>has been established or for that connection to have failed. There MUST be
>no more than one connection in a CONNECTING state. If multiple connections *to
>the same IP address* are attempted simultaneously, the client MUST
>serialize them so that there is no more than one connection at a time
>running through the following steps.
>
>The first sentence seems to imply that connections should be throttled on
>the basis of (host, port) pairs, ie. that ws://192.0.2.1:80/ and ws://
>192.0.2.1:81/ should be considered independent for the purposes of
>connection throttling. The last sentence seems to imply that connections
>should be throttled on the basis of IP address only, so connections ws://
>192.0.2.1:80/ and ws://192.0.2.1:81/ should be placed in the same bucket
>for throttling purposes.

It seems pretty clear to me that the more conservative interpretation is
the intended one. One reason is that there would otherwise be no limit
on the simultaneous attempts to connect with a single IP address using
different port numbers. It seems "identified by /host/ and port /port/
pair" can safely be removed without replacement through errata.