[hybi] complexity explosion

Justin Lee <jlee@antwerkz.com> Wed, 18 August 2010 14:10 UTC

Date: Wed, 18 Aug 2010 10:11:10 -0400
From: Justin Lee <jlee@antwerkz.com>
To: hybi@ietf.org
Subject: [hybi] complexity explosion

I'll preface this by saying, I only just joined the list a day or two ago.
 I'm the implementor of websockets in grizzly/glassfish and have been
following the evolution of the spec for not quite a year now.  My initial
read and implementation was around the -68 version or so.  Give or a take a
rev.  It was simple and useful.  -76 brought a more complex handshake which,
while bit ... heavy handed in its result, made a certain amount of sense.
 But I have to say that I watch the current wrangling over protocols updates
horrifying.  It seems *horrendously* complex and I shudder at the thought of
trying to implement all this.  I haven't seen all the arguments for/against
some of these changes (though I'm trying to get up to speed) but as an
implementor I just have to say that all this sudden complexity is truly
depressing.  It actually reminds of the initial EJB discussions where "what
ifs" and "what abouts" lead to an egregiously complex spec that nobody
really liked.  I'd love to see a renewed focus on simplicity.

--
You can find me on the net at:
http://www.linkedin.com/in/justinlee