Re: [hybi] BWTP progress

Joshua Bell <josh@lindenlab.com> Thu, 16 July 2009 00:47 UTC

Date: Wed, 15 Jul 2009 17:48:07 -0700
From: Joshua Bell <josh@lindenlab.com>
To: hybi@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [hybi] BWTP progress

One thing that I didn't see when I looked at (an earlier draft of) BWTP
that I'd like included is a recommendation for how to layer
request/response semantics over it. This would be achievable right now
per the draft with custom headers (e.g. X-Method: GET, X-Request-Id:
1234 .... X-Response-Id: 1234, X-Status: 200 OK) but it seems like a
common enough case that codifying it might make sense.

One scenario we're looking at over in OGPX is where HTTP serves very
well - both as a transport and REST semantics - for client access to
server resources. We also have the reverse scenario where the "server"
would make use of "client" resources, and again the HTTP semantics work
well; this is currently achieved in practice (and drafted) as long poll
connections over HTTP.

http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-lentczner-rhttp-00 has been written,
describing RHTTP which addresses this specific case in a straightforward
manner. If BWTP were to formalize the semantics for bi-directional
resource utilization with REST semantics over the protocol, that'd be
swell, and it would be straightforward for OGPX protocols to operate
over BWTP.