Re: [hybi] About authentication mechanism

Ian Fette (イアンフェッティ) <ifette@google.com> Wed, 22 June 2011 00:04 UTC

Date: Tue, 21 Jun 2011 17:04:32 -0700
From: "Ian Fette (イアンフェッティ)" <ifette@google.com>
To: Greg Wilkins <gregw@intalio.com>
Cc: hybi@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [hybi] About authentication mechanism

Speaking as an individual,

I would not want to support this from the browser side. We finally are
starting to kill in browsers HTTP AUTH dialogs created by subresources
(images etc). Frankly it's a very poor user experience. I think most people
will use WS the way they use XHR + long polling, namely they will be on an
established page, do their authentication however they do their
authentication, set a cookie and move on. In some small corner of the
universe, a small set of applications may continue to use HTTP AUTH, but I
don't feel compelled to go out of the way to make its use any easier than if
I had requested javascript from another origin which popped up an auth
dialog. (Rather, I would probably block that as a browser).

-Ian