Re: [hybi] Fwd: publication request: draft-ietf-hybi-permessage-compression-05

Bjoern Hoehrmann <derhoermi@gmx.net> Thu, 21 February 2013 23:36 UTC

From: Bjoern Hoehrmann <derhoermi@gmx.net>
To: Barry Leiba <barryleiba@computer.org>
Date: Fri, 22 Feb 2013 00:36:28 +0100
Cc: "hybi@ietf.org" <hybi@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [hybi] Fwd: publication request: draft-ietf-hybi-permessage-compression-05

* Barry Leiba wrote:
>-- General --
>
>   [in various places...}
>   _This section is non-normative._
>
>   2. Conformance Requirements
>   Everything in this specification except for sections explicitly
>   marked non-normative is normative.
>
>I understand that all of this corresponds to the same text in the
>WebSockets document.  I can't tell you how much I dislike this style,
>and I ask (but not demand) that you please consider removing it.  I'm
>happy to discuss this.
>
>I believe you need to be clear from the language you use (and I don't
>just mean MUST and SHOULD) when something is not normative.  Calling
>things "examples" already conveys this.  Section titles such as
>"Introduction" conveys this.  Most documents manage without this sort
>of thing.  Why does WebSockets (and its successor documents, such as
>this one) need it?

It corresponds to Ian Hickson's stylistic preference and most likely was
kept and copied from the early protocol drafts that he edited. Since the
errata system we have in place seems to be working, it does not really
serve a useful purpose where it's used in the document under discussion.

(Sometimes such markers are the best editorial option available, I'm
just saying that none of the cases in the document strike me as such.)

>-- Introduction --
>
>   The simplest "Sec-WebSocket-Extensions" header in the client's
>   opening handshake to request permessage-deflate is the following:
>
>       Sec-WebSocket-Extensions: permessage-deflate
>
>   The simplest header from the server to accept this extension is the
>   same.
>
>Why is this in the Introduction?  It seems seriously out of place there.

I think pointing out something like "clients and servers negotiate use
of Per-message Compression using Sec-WebSocket-Extensions: ..." may well
belong in the Introduction, it just seems a bit oddly phrased and lacks
context as it appears above.

>-- Section 3 --
>
>I find the organization of this to be awkward.  The first paragraph
>doesn't make much sense to me, for one thing.  I suggest two things to
>start with:
>
>1. Change the overall document title:
>
>OLD
>WebSocket Per-message Compression
>
>NEW
>WebSocket Per-message Compression Extension Framework

I think "Extension Framework" is overdoing it, but the idea seems good.
Perhaps "WebSocket Per-message Compression Extensions" would be better.