Re: [hybi] Discontinuation of mux standardizaton in favor of WS/HTTP/2.0

Tobias Oberstein <tobias.oberstein@tavendo.de> Thu, 09 January 2014 09:11 UTC

From: Tobias Oberstein <tobias.oberstein@tavendo.de>
To: Takeshi Yoshino <tyoshino@google.com>, "hybi@ietf.org" <hybi@ietf.org>
Date: Thu, 09 Jan 2014 01:11:06 -0800
acceptlanguage: de-DE, en-US
Subject: Re: [hybi] Discontinuation of mux standardizaton in favor of WS/HTTP/2.0

Hi Takeshi,

it's a pity, but I can understand the motivation to shove everything into HTTP2.

Anyway, some questions:

1) Frame Mapping
"""
One WebSocket frame is mapped into one preceding SPDY HEADERS frame and following plural SPDY data frames. The SPDY HEADERS frame must contain WebSocket frame fields and following SPDY data frames contain payload data. These data frames are free to be reframed.
"""
https://docs.google.com/document/d/124vB5NV1p2N55wg-MdXaUW0VICmCfc7ukw9aWzSHijk/edit

So reframing of WebSocket frames (the payload) into multiple SPDY data frames MAY occur, but does not need to occur? And a WS/SPDY implementation is free to choose the boundaries within WS frame payload at which to reframe into different SPDY data frames as it likes?

2) End of WS Frame

The end of a WS message is signaled with a SPDY data frame having MSG_DONE set.

How is the end of a WS frame signaled, given that the WS frame may have been reframed into multiple SPDY data frames?

3) WS extension

Are WS extensions fully supported? In particular, is "permessage-deflate" supported when running WS/SPDY?

Thanks!
/Tobias