Re: [hybi] a working draft, not a final draft

"Shelby Moore" <shelby@coolpage.com> Sat, 28 August 2010 00:33 UTC

Date: Fri, 27 Aug 2010 20:33:31 -0400
From: Shelby Moore <shelby@coolpage.com>
To: ifette@google.com
Cc: "hybi@ietf.org" <hybi@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [hybi] a working draft, not a final draft

> On Fri, Aug 27, 2010 at 4:32 PM, Shelby Moore <shelby@coolpage.com> wrote:
>
>> > As Editor, I will happily produce a draft based on John's earlier VII
>> > proposal, based on 7/16/63 aka 1/2/8. Give me some time, the current
>> draft
>> > was very procedural and I would like to take the opportunity to
>> re-write
>> > it
>> > in the format that we've been discussing on the list. I will spend
>> time
>> > this
>> > weekend and hope to have something to send out early next week.
>>

>> See below please Ian.
>>
>> Note 9 people viewed my proposal so far, perhaps only 4 or 5 of them
>> viewed it for any length of time to be serious.  18 people viewed John's
>> proposal (which is already well known I guess).
>>
>> I think as an editor, your job is to respect the minority too,
>> especially
>> given the conflict of interest with John and you and Robert Peon all
>> working for the same company?
>>

> Your proposal reflects a position that I think many people have already
> expressed a large amount of concern over, in various threads.

I haven't see one concern other than the last message between Jamie and I,
for which I am still awaiting his reply to my challenge asking for any
example of his concern. And I understand that wasn't a major or blocking
concern of his. It seemed to me that Jamie was in support of non-conflated
layers, unless there was an overriding reason to conflate them.

Can you provide any link that has expressed any concern about my proposal
to not conflate the fragmentation framing and the message content layers?

Seems you could easily substantiate your statement if it is truely "large"
as you assert.  I think it is not only not "large", it is non-existent. So
I am little bit dismayed by this part of your reply.  What you wrote below
is warmly received.

> As for any
> conflict of interest, I was actually asked by the chairs earlier to start
> preparing something like what I proposed in my previous email.
>
> Also, I don't know how to ask this in a manner that doesn't seem impolite
> so
> please don't take this the wrong way: Previously you said you were
> unsubscribing from the list and not to add you to emails, is it safe to
> say
> we can disregard that at this point?

That was very polite.  I thought my anti-conflation argument was
understood, but then I saw it needed more explanation.

Mainly I didn't want John replying to me, because he and I will get mired
in pedantic debate that has no bearing to the overall main point.  I am
interested to have discussions with anyone who is willing to make a best
effort to be efficient and to the (non-pedantic but overall) point.  I
enjoyed very much the discussion with Jamie, he was able to stay on the
main points efficiently. I have felt useful in helping to explain some
issues about fragmentation to Brian S. I have replied to Ray Field
asserting that SSH is not visible either, and got no reply on his
concerns.

I never said do not reply to my emails, I said do not copy me on the
reply, just in case I had unsubscribed, but yes it is fair to say that I
removed that footer from my messages and have been subscribed for the past
24 hours or so.

I have no desire to force anything on anyone.  I just want to know the
legitimate reasons for design choices. I am engineer, and I accept the
best design as the winner, I could careless if it was my design or not.  I
want the users of the world to win, I want Google to have a great protocol
to use, I want to use a great protocol.