Re: [hybi] Resolutions for the issues of the compression spec reported during WGLC

"Arman Djusupov" <arman@noemax.com> Thu, 10 January 2013 14:12 UTC

From: Arman Djusupov <arman@noemax.com>
To: 'Takeshi Yoshino' <tyoshino@google.com>, 'Julian Reschke' <julian.reschke@gmx.de>
Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2013 16:12:02 +0200
Cc: hybi@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [hybi] Resolutions for the issues of the compression spec reported during WGLC

For me it doesn't make a big difference, I'm OK with going back to the old
way, but we have to remember the reason why we ended up with method
parameter. We did so in order to make compression extensions mutually
exclusive. Plus, the current specification defines the DEFLATE method as
just one of several possible methods, theoretically there can be multiple
methods . If we change to permessage-compress-deflate then the specification
would have to define how the extension name is formed based on the format it
uses.

I personally don't mind going back to old way, but AFAIR Tobias was working
on Autobahn's test suite for permessage-compress interoperability. If his
work is already done then reverting the spec again will require re-testing
interop once again.

With best regards,

Arman