Re: [hybi] thewebsocketprotocol #28 (new): Fragmentation

Greg Wilkins <gregw@webtide.com> Thu, 25 November 2010 05:20 UTC

Date: Thu, 25 Nov 2010 16:21:29 +1100
From: Greg Wilkins <gregw@webtide.com>
To: Zhong Yu <zhong.j.yu@gmail.com>
Cc: hybi <hybi@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [hybi] thewebsocketprotocol #28 (new): Fragmentation

Zhong,

I don't think anybody has suggested changing the WS API abstraction.
It is and should remain a simple stream of complete messages.

But it is an abstraction! which means that it is hiding the details of
what actually happens underneath.   There are some good technical
reasons for supporting fragmentation below the API abstraction and we
have had the discussions at great length to determine if these reasons
are good enough to justify the increase in the complexity of the
protocol level abstraction.

The current consensus appears to be that fragmentation is a needed
technical feature in the framing layer.  While good reasons might be
presented that may again change this consensus, I don't think the
simplicity argument is one such reason.  That case has already been
made and failed.      If you do have some new insights on the
cost/benefit of fragmentation, then we should discuss them, but we do
also need to be very careful that we don't go over ground that has
already been well debated.

And I repeat that I have not seen anybody advocate that fragmentation
should be exposed in any way to via the WS API.

regards