Re: [hybi] Arguments in the FAQ

Salvatore Loreto <salvatore.loreto@ericsson.com> Thu, 07 April 2011 08:08 UTC

Date: Thu, 07 Apr 2011 11:10:37 +0300
From: Salvatore Loreto <salvatore.loreto@ericsson.com>
To: Bruce Atherton <bruce@callenish.com>
Cc: "hybi@ietf.org" <hybi@ietf.org>, Gabriel Montenegro <Gabriel.Montenegro@microsoft.com>, S Moonesamy <sm+ietf@elandsys.com>
Subject: Re: [hybi] Arguments in the FAQ

On 4/7/11 12:17 AM, Bruce Atherton wrote:
> On 06/04/2011 1:45 PM, S Moonesamy wrote:
>> Hi Bruce,
>> At 10:37 06-04-2011, Bruce Atherton wrote:
>>> I have an issue with the FAQ that I would appreciate some guidance
>>> from the WG on.
>>>
>>> I have noted at the top of the FAQ that it is intended that it
>>> describe the state of the protocol as it currently exists and how it
>>> got that way. I do not believe it is intended as a platform for
>>> debate concerning whether a particular choice is a good one. The FAQ is
>> There is a note at the top of the FAQ which says:
>>
>>   "A note to contributors: Please do not use the FAQ as a debating
>> document.
>>    The FAQ is intended to describe the protocol as it is currently
>> defined in
>>    the spec. If you want to see a change in the spec, bring it up on the
>>    mailing list and see if you can  achieve a rough consensus. Do not
>> present
>>    your arguments here as they will be removed.
> Yes, I wrote that a few weeks ago. I believe it is a good idea as the
> FAQ should be a document of the history of decisions in order to explain
> the protocol, not a place to argue about future changes. But that is
> just my opinion.
+1
actually that was also my original idea when I suggested to start a FAQ

> Yesterday there was an edit that went directly against that policy, so I
> thought I would bring the matter up here to see if anyone else supported
> my view.
>
>>    A second note to contributors: Please do not remove the Questions
>> when answering
>>    them. This is a FAQ = Frequently Answered Questions, not FA =
>> Frequent Answers.
>>    Please write answers in a FAQ style and not book narrative style."
> I take this to be a reference to the fact that the actual FAQ starts
> some distance down in the document. Does anyone object to me moving the
> goals of Websockets to a separate Wiki page and providing a reference to
> it from the FAQ? Then we can get rid of that note.
the HyBi wg has still as a deliverable a
document describing the Design Space characterization
where I think the goals descriptions of WebSockets should go.
(see: http://tools.ietf.org/wg/hybi/charters _

The precedent version of the document has expired and not renewed mainly
due to
lack of time/cycles from the editors...
http://tools.ietf.org/wg/hybi/draft-ietf-hybi-design-space/

If you would like help and have cycles for it, please contact the chairs
(Gabriel and I).

For the time being, I do not want to start another wiki page for
something that is
still supposed to go in a wg item.

cheers
/Sal