I-D Action: draft-bashandy-idr-bgp-repair-label-03.txt

internet-drafts@ietf.org Sun, 30 October 2011 23:26 UTC

From: internet-drafts@ietf.org
To: i-d-announce@ietf.org
Subject: I-D Action: draft-bashandy-idr-bgp-repair-label-03.txt
Date: Sun, 30 Oct 2011 16:26:35 -0700

	Title           : Scalable, Loop-Free BGP FRR using Repair Label
	Author(s)       : Ahmed Bashandy
                          Burjiz Pithawala
                          Jakob Heitz
	Filename        : draft-bashandy-idr-bgp-repair-label-03.txt
	Pages           : 13
	Date            : 2011-10-30

Consider a BGP free core scenario. Suppose the provider edge BGP
speakers PE1, PE2,..., PEn know about a prefix P/p via the external
routers CE1, CE2,..., CEm.  If the PE router PEi loses connectivity to
the primary path, it is desirable to immediately restore traffic by
rerouting packets arriving from the core to PEi and destined to the
prefix P/p to one of the other PE routers that advertised P/p, say PEj,
until BGP re-converges. However if the loss of connectivity of PEi to
the primary path also resulted in the loss of connectivity between PEj
and CEj, rerouting a packet before the control plane converges may
result in a loop. In this document, we propose using a repair label for
traffic restoration while avoiding loops. We propose advertising the
&quot;repair&quot; label through BGP.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-bashandy-idr-bgp-repair-label-03.txt

ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

This Internet-Draft can be retrieved at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-bashandy-idr-bgp-repair-label-03.txt