I-D Action: draft-mankamana-pim-graceful-dr-shutdown-00.txt

internet-drafts@ietf.org Mon, 02 July 2018 21:10 UTC

From: internet-drafts@ietf.org
To: i-d-announce@ietf.org
Subject: I-D Action: draft-mankamana-pim-graceful-dr-shutdown-00.txt
Date: Mon, 02 Jul 2018 14:10:59 -0700

        Title           : PIM Designated Router graceful shutdown
        Authors         : Mankamana Mishra
                          Stig Venaas
                          Mahesh Sivakumar
                          Zheng(Sandy) Zhang
                          Mikael Abrahamsson
	Filename        : draft-mankamana-pim-graceful-dr-shutdown-00.txt
	Pages           : 7
	Date            : 2018-07-02

Abstract:
   On a multi-access network, one of the PIM routers is elected as a
   Designated Router (DR).  On the last hop LAN, the PIM DR is
   responsible for tracking local multicast listeners and forwarding
   traffic to these listeners if the group is operating in PIM-SM.  In
   case of a network maintenance, where we want to bring down the
   current DR, there is currently no way to gracefully handover the PIM
   DR role to a new DR on the shared LAN.  In this document, we propose
   a modification to the PIM-SM protocol that allows PIM DR to
   gracefully shutdown or go down for maintenance.  We also provide a
   procedure for PIM DR to gracefully handover its role to a new PIM DR
   in the network.

https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-mankamana-pim-graceful-dr-shutdown/

https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-mankamana-pim-graceful-dr-shutdown-00
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-mankamana-pim-graceful-dr-shutdown-00