Re: [I2nsf] On Information Models [Was: need some work to improve the consistency of I2NSF Information and data model: maybe a design team?]

John Strassner <John.sc.Strassner@huawei.com> Tue, 18 July 2017 20:35 UTC

From: John Strassner <John.sc.Strassner@huawei.com>
To: "adrian@olddog.co.uk" <adrian@olddog.co.uk>, 'John Strassner' <strazpdj@gmail.com>, John Strassner <John.sc.Strassner@huawei.com>
CC: "i2nsf@ietf.org" <i2nsf@ietf.org>, Linda Dunbar <linda.dunbar@huawei.com>
Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2017 20:35:29 +0000
x-originating-ip: [10.212.246.128]
Subject: Re: [I2nsf] On Information Models [Was: need some work to improve the consistency of I2NSF Information and data model: maybe a design team?]

Hi Adrian,

I am confused.

RFC3444 is informational. RFC3198, which is referenced by I2NSF terminology through the SUPA draft, is a standards-track document. Furthermore, in page 1 of RFC3444, it says "Short definitions of these terms can also be found elsewhere (e.g., in RFC 3198 [sic])". RFC3444 neither provides definitions of these terms nor does anything other than provide loose prose about some usage and characteristics. Thus, I have two questions:

   1) If this is good enough for RFC3444, why isn't it good enough for us?
   2) Why would we be "downgrading" a standards-track reference to an informational reference?

Now, if the question is to **add** RFC3444 as an informative reference, fine, but I'm still scratching my head as to why. You are definitely correct - your option c is a non-starter. In fact, there have been unproductive attempts at this before, and I for one don't want to repeat them.

Regards,
John