Re: [I2nsf] Request for Comments, Interest and Support in I2NSF Re-Chartering

Susan Hares <shares@ndzh.com> Sat, 26 March 2022 14:49 UTC

From: Susan Hares <shares@ndzh.com>
To: 't petch' <ietfa@btconnect.com>, "'Mr. Jaehoon Paul Jeong'" <jaehoon.paul@gmail.com>, i2nsf@ietf.org
Cc: 'Roman Danyliw' <rdd@cert.org>, "'Panwei (William)'" <william.panwei@huawei.com>, 'Henk Birkholz' <henk.birkholz@sit.fraunhofer.de>, 'tom petch' <daedulus@btconnect.com>, 'yangpenglin' <yangpenglin@chinamobile.com>, 'DIEGO LOPEZ GARCIA' <diego.r.lopez@telefonica.com>
Date: Sat, 26 Mar 2022 10:49:17 -0400
Subject: Re: [I2nsf] Request for Comments, Interest and Support in I2NSF Re-Chartering

Tom:

Thank you for this feedback.

This error in the model comes from the initial assumptions during the start
of these models.  This error was a design choice in the early models based
on the flux in Yang during the NMDA model discussions.  Benoit's advice was
to try to get models out and then revise.   The security ADs were pushing
the working group to make progress.  Benoit and the security ADs wanted
progress.  The tenant of "replication" works in that environment.

Versioning in Yang models  is still a work in progress.  This round of
versioning is still  not complex enough for BGP policy modeling.  (And
IMHO/AFAIK  Open Config Yang modeling is behind IETF modeling in complex
versioning).

Therefore, the error in that advice to Linda Dunbar and Paul Jeong is mine.
Paul, his co-authors, and his students have done the best possible based on
that advice.  Time has moved on in both realms (netmod) and security.   The
current security ADs were not privy to these pieces of advice.

Would you suggest going back to square-1 to rework each of these models?
If so, should this be the first order of work?

Just a warning, refactoring to remove the "replication" works best as Paul
Jeong has done it.  It is careful and precise work reviewed by a few
experts.  The working group reviews for high level content.  Paul Jeong's
presentation at IETF 113 gave that type of review.   I wish we would have
had a longer time period, but hybrid meetings shorten "off-line meetings".

WGs focus on protocol content (routing or security WG) struggle to maintain
moment cycling around refactoring.   Combing the refactoring work with
additional work helps keep a working group functional.

Any advice?

Sue

Opinion: The IETF needs to strong cross-area management as we head into 5G
work.   Security in all areas is key for 5G needs.