Re: [I2nsf] Can the Flux Advanced Security Kernel described by draft-ietf-nfsv4-lfs-registry-02 be used for I2NSF?

Dave Quigley <dpquigl@davequigley.com> Wed, 18 February 2015 00:33 UTC

Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2015 19:33:36 -0500
From: Dave Quigley <dpquigl@davequigley.com>
To: Linda Dunbar <linda.dunbar@huawei.com>, "Romascanu, Dan (Dan)" <dromasca@avaya.com>, "ops-dir@ietf.org" <ops-dir@ietf.org>
Cc: "i2nsf@ietf.org" <i2nsf@ietf.org>, dpquigl@tycho.nsa.gov, "draft-ietf-nfsv4-lfs-registry.all@tools.ietf.org" <draft-ietf-nfsv4-lfs-registry.all@tools.ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [I2nsf] Can the Flux Advanced Security Kernel described by draft-ietf-nfsv4-lfs-registry-02 be used for I2NSF?

On 2/17/2015 6:57 PM, Linda Dunbar wrote:
> David, Jarrett, and Thomas,
>
> I2NSF is to specify a mechanism for clients to communicate their
> specific “Flow Based security policies” (request/monitor/report) to a
> system, and map these security policies to the security functions
> present in security devices in that system.(see charter
> http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/i2nsf/current/msg00281.html)
>
> draft-ietf-nfsv4-lfs-registry-02 describes “The Flux Advanced Security
> Kernel (FLASK) [FLASK99]” as an implementation of an architecture to
> provide flexible support for security policies. Section 2.1 of
> [FLASK99b], summarizes the architecture of FLASK to:
>
> 1. describe the interactions between a subsystem which enforces
>
> security policy decisions and a subsystem which makes those
>
> decisions
>
> 2. the requirements on the components within each subsystem.
>
> Question to you: do you think if FLASK can be extended for I2NSF purpose?
>
> Thanks, Linda

When I get to work tomorrow I'll read over the I2NSF protocol spec and
give you an answer. The FLASK security labels are better known by their
more common name of SELinux labels. If you look at SELinux it will give
you a better idea than flask. SELinux doesn't specify flows explicitly
but you can analyze the policy to detect the information flows.
SELinux's main security model is type enforcement. In this model every
subject and object are given a label and then rules are defined how they
interact. I'll look over I2NSF tomorrow and see if the FLASK model
(Which SELinux is based on) could be adapted for other methods. The main
takeaway from FLASK was that until that point trusted systems hardcoded
the mechanism and policy for their security models into the OS itself.
With FLASK the idea was to separate the policy from the mechanism so
that multiple models could be supported rather than MLS which was almost
always what was encoded.

You should see a reply tomorrow from my work email address but the name
should be the same.

Dave