Re: [i2rs] Benjamin Kaduk's No Objection on draft-ietf-i2rs-yang-l2-network-topology-14: (with COMMENT)

Qin Wu <bill.wu@huawei.com> Thu, 09 July 2020 03:14 UTC

From: Qin Wu <bill.wu@huawei.com>
To: Susan Hares <shares@ndzh.com>, 'Benjamin Kaduk' <kaduk@mit.edu>, 'The IESG' <iesg@ietf.org>
CC: "draft-ietf-i2rs-yang-l2-network-topology@ietf.org" <draft-ietf-i2rs-yang-l2-network-topology@ietf.org>, "i2rs@ietf.org" <i2rs@ietf.org>, "i2rs-chairs@ietf.org" <i2rs-chairs@ietf.org>
Date: Thu, 09 Jul 2020 03:14:18 +0000
x-originating-ip: [10.164.123.162]
Subject: Re: [i2rs] Benjamin Kaduk's No Objection on draft-ietf-i2rs-yang-l2-network-topology-14: (with COMMENT)

Hi, Sue:
-----邮件原件-----
发件人: Susan Hares [mailto:shares@ndzh.com]
发送时间: 2020年7月9日 1:25
收件人: 'Benjamin Kaduk' <kaduk@mit.edu>; 'The IESG' <iesg@ietf.org>
抄送: draft-ietf-i2rs-yang-l2-network-topology@ietf.org; i2rs@ietf.org; i2rs-chairs@ietf.org

Ben:

Following up on my earlier mail regarding the investigation comments:

1)  System management MAC port -

The 802.1Q-2018 is the latest full specification

https://1.ieee802.org/yang-modules/
http://ieee802.org/1/files/public/YANGs/ieee802-dot1q-bridge.yang - provides the yang modules

in this module there is a container Bridge with the bridge configuration.
In this container there is a MAC address, but I do not find a clear specification of system-mac or the management mac.  I will ask the IEEE-IETF liaison group to provide me with the appropriate specification to validate the current and future handling of system macs.

It may be an vendor specific augmentation to the IEEE model.  If so, these additions would still be needed by the L2 topology model which is looking to have an interoperable L2 view of the network.

2) "other state" in the termination point

The states of the termination port of "in  use", "blocking",  "down", and "others" concepts 802.1Q Yang models to a simplistic view of the port.

The concepts of "other" as a mentioned below come from anticipation in 2016 of work for time sensitive network (TSN) task group.  The TSN work could cause the port as a logical termination point to have something besides "in use", "block frames", and "down".  Therefore, we added a state "other" to
allow the model to indicate one of the other concepts.

The TSN specifications that lead us to this conclusion are the following:
P802F (yang module for Ether Types),  802.1Qcw (yang data models for schedule traffic, frame preemption, and per-stream filtering/policing), 802.1Qdj (configuration enhancements for TSN),  802.1ABcu (LLDP Yang Data model), and 802.1CBcv (Frame Replication and Elimination) model

In the future after the Yang models of the IEEE for TSN are specified and approved, a revision of this I2RS model could specify a simplification of
the TSN functioning into 1 or more specific states.

    leaf-list management-address {
           type inet:ip-address;
           description
             "System management address.";
         }
         leaf sys-mac-address {
           type yang:mac-address;
           description
             "System MAC address.";
         }

I'm still trying to correlate this with the Bridge model in 802.1Q or

[Qin]: Regarding sys-mac-address, it is device level mac address, the device is represented as l2 node in the L2 network topology model,
We also has port level mac address, port is represented as l2 termination point in the L2 network topology model,
Each device could have multiple port or multiple termination points, each port and termination will be assigned with one MAC address.

Item 2 - completed research and "other" is placeholder for Time sensitive network (TSN) work in 802.1.
This correlates to detnet work.

Cheerily, Sue