[i2rs] draft-ietf-i2rs-ephemeral-state-09, Ephemeral-REQ-05

Jeffrey Haas <jhaas@pfrc.org> Wed, 01 June 2016 15:59 UTC

Date: Wed, 01 Jun 2016 12:04:50 -0400
From: Jeffrey Haas <jhaas@pfrc.org>
To: i2rs@ietf.org
Subject: [i2rs] draft-ietf-i2rs-ephemeral-state-09, Ephemeral-REQ-05

As per the interim, here is some suggested text changes:

Existing text:

   Ephemeral-REQ-05: Ephemeral state handling and notifications could
   increase need for CPU processing, data flow rates across a transport,
   or the rate of publication of data in a subscription or the logging
   for traceability.  The I2RS Agent SHOULD have the ability to
   constraints for OAM functions operating to limit CPU processing, data
   rate across a transport, the rate of publication of data in a
   subscription, and logging rates; and the I2RS Agent SHOULD have the
   ability to prioritize some of the management data flows between the
   I2RS Agent and I2RS Client.  In order to constrain resources needed,
   the I2RS Agent MAY also schedule data flows or split data flows unto
   multiple data flow streams.

Suggested new text:

I2RS pub-sub, logging, RPC or other mechanisms may lead to undesirable or
unsustainable resource consumption on a system implementing an I2RS Agent.
It is RECOMMENDED that mechanisms be made available to permit prioritization
of I2RS operations, when appropriate, to permit implementations to shed work
load when operating under constrained resources.  An example of such a work
shedding mechanism is rate-limiting.

-----

Note that Subscription QoS in the pub-sub requirements provides for this
type of behavior in that context.

-- Jeff