Re: [i2rs] I-D Action: draft-haas-i2rs-netmod-netconf-requirements-00.txt

"UTTARO, JAMES" <ju1738@att.com> Wed, 17 September 2014 12:09 UTC

From: "UTTARO, JAMES" <ju1738@att.com>
To: 'Dean Bogdanovic' <deanb@juniper.net>, 'Andy Bierman' <andy@yumaworks.com>
Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2014 12:08:24 +0000
x-originating-ip: [135.70.129.222]
Cc: 'Jeffrey Haas' <jhaas@pfrc.org>, "'Jmh.direct'" <jmh.direct@joelhalpern.com>, 'Joel Halpern' <jmh@joelhalpern.com>, "'i2rs@ietf.org'" <i2rs@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [i2rs] I-D Action: draft-haas-i2rs-netmod-netconf-requirements-00.txt

Here were my comments in re I2RS.. See bullet 3..

Jim Uttaro

Re: [i2rs] draft-white-i2rs-use-case-05.txt has been posted

From: "UTTARO, JAMES" <ju1738 at att.com>
To: "'Dean Bogdanovic'" <deanb at juniper.net>, "'Susan Hares'" <shares at ndzh.com>
Date: Mon, 16 Jun 2014 17:40:29 +0000

Susan,

                Following find my comments in re this document..

                General Comments.

                1) There is a need to better define what is meant by the "halfway point" between completely replacing the distributed control plane and configuring it all. It would seem to be that this "halfway point" is different based on what is being programmed. To that end it would be useful to call out higher level reqs some suggestions.

                2) Dissemination Scope of an I2RS Instruction Set ( Block of instructions intended to be atomic ) - An instruction set may be local or global in nature as it pertains to affected the distributed control plane when configured on a network element.

                                a)  A locally scoped instruction set may configure routing state in the RIB for comparison purposes but that state may not be disseminated via the distributed control  plane.

                                b) A globally scoped instruction set must configure routing state in the RIB for comparison purposes and that state is available for dissemination subject to any other policy.

                3) Ephemeral/Persistent Scope of an I2RS Instruction Set

                                a) Should the instruction set persist? What comes to mind for me are the "configuration" like changes i.e RT-C, FlowSpec .

                4) Liveness/Safety Properties - Would like to see some discussion in re these items.

                5) Uses Cases - I believe addl use cases whose focus is on configuration like services would be desirable. As an ex.. RT-C..

                Specific Comments

                C1 - P1 - Para 2

                ..." Such a system would not interact...." The paragraph uses a routing and best path selection as an example. I assume that this not limited to this application but spans configuration like state etc....

                C2 - P3 -Para 1

                "This represents a "halfway point" ..." This needs a clearer definition, I would suggest wording regarding  how the distributed control plane will be augmented by the addition of I2RS

                C3 - P3 - Para 3

                "...Each unique has been" Typo missing the word reqs.

                C4 - P3 - Para 5

                The reaction to Network Based Attacks may also include other actions i.e mirror, drop ...I assume you are not limiting the response to the attack to only re-direct.

                C5 - P4 - Para 4 1st Bullet

                Can the I2RS agent interact with other tools and get the desired info in this case available routes in the RIB? In general can I2RS provide a framework to collect data from multiple sources including directly from a router, RR, NM?

                C6 - P4 - Para 4 2nd Bullet

                Need to describe in how state learned via I2RS agent and state learned via distributed control plane interact across the set of applications ( See Above General Comments. )

                C7 - P5 - Para 4 3rd Bullet

                What is the ask for here? Is there a consistent definition of /dev/null being sought?

                C8 - P5 -Para 4 4th Bullet

                Not sure what this req is. Is it saying the policies configured via distributed control plane, local  and/or via I2Rs should have some form of id? Why is this needed if the policy no matter where it is learned is recorded in the running configuration??

                C10 - P5 - Para `1

                "In hub and spoke..." There are other hub/spoke solutions i.e Virtual Hub Rekhter et al...that do not rely on a centralized server.

Jim Uttaro