Re: [i2rs] Benoit Claise's No Objection on draft-ietf-i2rs-architecture-13: (with COMMENT)

"Susan Hares" <shares@ndzh.com> Fri, 22 April 2016 02:03 UTC

From: Susan Hares <shares@ndzh.com>
To: "'Joel M. Halpern'" <jmh@joelhalpern.com>, 'Benoit Claise' <bclaise@cisco.com>, 'The IESG' <iesg@ietf.org>
Date: Thu, 21 Apr 2016 22:02:58 -0400
Cc: i2rs@ietf.org, mach.chen@huawei.com, i2rs-chairs@ietf.org, draft-ietf-i2rs-architecture@ietf.org, Fred@cisco.com
Subject: Re: [i2rs] Benoit Claise's No Objection on draft-ietf-i2rs-architecture-13: (with COMMENT)

Joel:

I will need to resolve this before I can provide a final for the RFC editor.
Here's the way I understand these issues:

1) draft-ietf-i2rs-architecture-13.txt - is a high-level architecture with
building blocks.

2) It provides only general ideas on we are using "X, Y, and Z" in ways "A,
B, and C" to

solve the "I2RS problem".

3) detailed requirements on what the I2RS protocol and interface should be
are contained in

   the i2rs requirements set

.         Pub/sub requirements - draft-ietf-i2rs-pub-sub-requirements-06
(at IESG publication)

.         Traceability requirements - draft-ietf-i2rs-traceability-08 (at
IESG publication)

.         Protocol Security requirements -
draft-ietf-i2rs-protocol-security-requirements-03

.         Ephemeral State requirements - draft-ietf-i2rs-ephemeral-state-05

.         Data Flow Requirements  - draft-hares-i2rs-dataflow-req-03

.         I2RS security requirements for environment -
draft-ietf-i2rs-security-environment-reqs-01

The protocol strawman is the proposal for using "X, Y, and Z" in ways "A,B,
and C" in order

to solve the I2RS problem.

4) The architecture document and use cases were useful in creating the key
informational models:

1)      I2RS RIB Information model

2)      I2RS FB-RIB informational model (under WG Adoption)

3)      I2RS generic network model (
<https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-i2rs-yang-network-topo/>
draft-ietf-i2rs-yang-network-topo-02) - which has formed the basis for most
of the I2RS, TEAS and CCAMP ideas on models.

Therefore, I think we followed the charter.

What we really need to revise is the abstract.  To bring the expectations
for the architecture closer to task 1.

How about changing the abstract to:

This document describes the IETF architecture for a standard,

programmatic interface for state transfer in and out of the Internet

routing system.  It describes the high-level architecture, the building

blocks of this high-level architecture, and their interfaces with

particular focus on those to be standardized

as part of the Interface to Routing System (I2RS).

Sue