[i2rs] Stephen Farrell's No Objection on draft-ietf-i2rs-problem-statement-10: (with COMMENT)

"Stephen Farrell" <stephen.farrell@cs.tcd.ie> Mon, 15 February 2016 19:37 UTC

From: Stephen Farrell <stephen.farrell@cs.tcd.ie>
To: The IESG <iesg@ietf.org>
Date: Mon, 15 Feb 2016 11:37:47 -0800
Cc: i2rs@ietf.org, bill.wu@huawei.com, draft-ietf-i2rs-problem-statement@ietf.org, i2rs-chairs@ietf.org
Subject: [i2rs] Stephen Farrell's No Objection on draft-ietf-i2rs-problem-statement-10: (with COMMENT)

Stephen Farrell has entered the following ballot position for
draft-ietf-i2rs-problem-statement-10: No Objection

introductory paragraph, however.)

https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-i2rs-problem-statement/

COMMENT:

- section 1: "different vendors' routing systems" seems like
it's assuming that there is only one vendor involved in each
box. I don't think that's consistent with what's behind i2rs so
re-wording there might be better.

- figure 1: I'm sure you'll fix the page break

- confidentiality for i2rs protocol: if I can watch i2rs traffic
I can probably infer what policies are being used and use that
to better attack networks. I think you could easily strengthen
the wording there and that'd be better.  If one has a way to
securely authenticate endpoints, then you can almost as easily
ensure confidentiality.

- general question: We know that govts target network admins.
What are we doing to make i2rs traffic less easily used as a
selector? (e.g. make sure it could work over Tor?)

- the secdir review [1] called out some nits you may want to
consider (if you did already thanks, I didn't check in detail)

  [1] https://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/secdir/current/msg06342.html