[i2rs] I2NSF: Interface to network security functions : problem-statement, framework, use cases, and potential solution

Linda Dunbar <linda.dunbar@huawei.com> Thu, 23 April 2015 17:13 UTC

From: Linda Dunbar <linda.dunbar@huawei.com>
To: "i2nsf@ietf.org" <i2nsf@ietf.org>, "i2rs@ietf.org" <i2rs@ietf.org>, "netmod@ietf.org" <netmod@ietf.org>, "sacm@ietf.org" <sacm@ietf.org>, "pcp@ietf.org" <pcp@ietf.org>, "sfc@ietf.org" <sfc@ietf.org>, "dots@ietf.org" <dots@ietf.org>, "opsawg@ietf.org" <OpsAWG@ietf.org>, "ops-dir@ietf.org" <ops-dir@ietf.org>, "ops-ads@tools.ietf.org" <ops-ads@tools.ietf.org>
Date: Thu, 23 Apr 2015 17:12:53 +0000
x-originating-ip: [10.192.11.72]
Cc: "mile@ietf.org" <mile@ietf.org>
Subject: [i2rs] I2NSF: Interface to network security functions : problem-statement, framework, use cases, and potential solution

The "i2nsf-problem-statement" draft describes the motivation and the problem space associated with service providers providing hosted security solutions to deliver cost-effective managed security services to enterprise customers who don't own or have the security functions on their premises.

Since the i2nsf-problem-statement-01 draft, three I2NSF use case drafts, a gap analysis draft, and a packet-based paradigm draft have been published.
We removed the redundant content from the problem statement draft, making it focus exclusively on the problem space of security functions not hosted on customer's premises and being distributed (driven by NFV and hosted security services).

In conjunction with the "i2nsf-problem-statements", there are also I2NSF framework draft, potential I2NSF solution draft, use case drafts (under process of merging), gap-analysis and data modeling draft:

http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-merged-i2nsf-framework/

http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-lopez-i2nsf-packet/

http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-xia-i2nsf-capability-interface-im/ (new revision is to be uploaded soon to reflect the discussion of F2F meetings at IETF92 Dallas).

http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-pastor-i2nsf-access-usecases/
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-qi-i2nsf-access-network-usecase/
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-zarny-i2nsf-data-center-use-cases/

http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-zhang-gap-analysis/

I2NSF is about security functions management. The ultimate goal of I2NSF is to enable enterprises to utilize security functions not hosted on their own premise but instead hosted in service provider domain, to establish how to communicate desired security policies to NSF and how to get performance data or report out of NSF.

Also copy to the I2NSF relevant IETF WGs: I2RS, NETMOD, NETCONF, SACM, MILE, PCP, DOTS, SFC, and OpAreas, in hope to get feedback and suggestions from wider audience.

Thanks in advance,

Linda Dunbar