Re: [Ianaplan] Summary/refinement of scenarios discussed so far (was Constructive redirect -- focusing discussions)

Jefsey <jefsey@jefsey.com> Wed, 24 September 2014 16:12 UTC

Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2014 18:11:54 +0200
To: S Moonesamy <sm+ietf@elandsys.com>, ianaplan@ietf.org
From: Jefsey <jefsey@jefsey.com>
Cc: "Lawrence E. Strickling" <lstrickling@ntia.doc.gov>
Subject: Re: [Ianaplan] Summary/refinement of scenarios discussed so far (was Constructive redirect -- focusing discussions)

Subramanian,

I will use your mail to summarize the WG current achievements while
waiting for the Chairs' decision regarding my request to the IESG for
an appropriate review of our charter that is needed to permit a
complete and responsible multistakeholder based IETF response to the
NTIA March 14, 2014 questions posed to ICANN.

A. Other communities
     ==============

At 02:00 24/09/2014, Marc Blanchet wrote:
>to my knowledge, there is no such proposal yet. When they will be
>ready, we will review them.

This calls for two remarks :

1.  To my knowledge the charter does not specify two communities.

I want to make clear that I belong the Internet Users Community and I
speak as one of its member, i.e. as an "IETF Customer" as we are
sometimes inadequately qualified in some texts. The interests of my
community were traditionnally supposed to be conveniently represented
by the US procurement process and the quality of its obtained
deliveries guaranteed by the expertise of its Contracting Officers.

As part of this US procurement process the US NTIA currently
contracts with ICANN to carry out the Internet Assigned Numbers
Authority (IANA) functions and has a Cooperative Agreement with
Verisign under which it performs related root zone management
functions. The NTIA's responsibility includes the procedural role of
administering changes to the authoritative root zone file – the
database containing the lists of names and addresses of all top-level
domains – as well as serving as the historic steward of the DNS
"ICANN/NTIA" Class "IN".

1.1. On March 14, 2014, to support and enhance the multistakeholder
model of Internet policymaking and governance, the U.S. Commerce
Department's National Telecommunications and Information
Administration (NTIA) announced its intent to transition key Internet
domain name functions to the global multistakeholder community. As
the first step, NTIA has asked the Internet Corporation for Assigned
Names and Numbers (ICANN) to convene global stakeholders to develop a
proposal to transition the current role played by NTIA in the
coordination of the Internet's domain name system (DNS).
Transitioning NTIA out of its role marks the final phase of the
privatization of the DNS as outlined by the U.S. Government in 1997.

1.2. NTIA has informed ICANN that it expects that in the development
of the proposal, ICANN will work collaboratively with the directly
affected parties, including the Internet Engineering Task Force
(IETF), the Internet Architecture Board (IAB), the Internet Society
(ISOC), the Regional Internet Registries (RIRs), top level domain
name operators, VeriSign, and other interested global stakeholders.
This point seems to have been singularly misunderstood by ICANN
increasing some global stakeholders distrust already expressed in
Dubai, on Dec 14, 2012:

- ICANN seems to confuse the development of a proposal to transition
the current role played by NTIA in the coordination of the Internet's
domain name system "ICANN/NTIA" Class "IN" with a take-over of the
entire NTIA responsibilities.
- and, in so doing, not to consider the concerns of the "interested
global stakeholders" presently relying on the sovereign authority,
requirements and expertise of the US procurement process as if it was
going to disappear.

2. The Chair states that "there is no such proposal yet. When they
will be ready, we will review them".

This is an important change from the Charter and only says that the
WG may review and comment them.

B. Other communities
     ==============

>Could the WG Chairs clarify whether discussions of "names" and
>"numbers" are within the scope of the Charter?

At 02:00 24/09/2014, Marc Blanchet wrote:
>that is not what is written above. What is written above in the
>charter is clear.

>At 15:48 24/09/2014, Leslie Daigle (TCE) wrote:
>We're only talking about the protocol parameters registries here.

This "status-quo" position is clearly stated by the chairs. It
opposes every possibility of innovation or the discussion of special
cases resulting from IUse, Name and Numbers communities where names,
numbers and parameters could be entangled.

C. First deliverable
     ============

At 01:57 24/09/2014, Marc Blanchet wrote:
>Currently, to my knowledge, there is only one draft addressing the
>charter deliverable, and it is :
>http://www.ietf.org/id/draft-lear-iana-icg-response-01.txt.
>If there are other drafts, then we will look at them.

This means that this draft is the main agenda item.

This draft is in two sections.

- "Section 1 contains an introduction that is sourced solely within the IETF".
- "Section 2 contains the questionnaire that was written by the ICG
and a formal response by the IETF."

I note that Section 2 presents a formal response by the IETF most
probably based upon an IETF doctrine which should be sourced in
Section 1, but is not.

It therefore means that we need to build up an IETF doctrine, based
upon a WG Charter considering the IETF responsibility to the internet
and its multiple global stakeholders begining with (IMHO) with the
Internet Users. This charter MUST differentiate the parameters free
availability and their publication of reference.

This draft states that "Because of the nature of the agreement,
questions of jurisdiction are immaterial". This is in opposition with
the IETF Trust which was formed on December 15, 2005, for, among
other things, the purpose of acquiring, holding, maintaining and
licensing certain existing and future intellectual property used in
connection with the Internet standards process and its
administration. Accordingly, pursuant to RFC 5378, Contributors to
the IETF Standards Process grant the IETF Trust certain licenses with
respect to their IETF Contributions, the IETF Trust grants in its
turn to others, among other channels through the registry operators
such as IANA. Some IETF works or derivative works from IETF works may
be constrained according to the jurisdiction.

D. The Milestones
      ===========

The Milestones are therefore :

- to review the Charter with the IESG
- to build a consensual IETF doctrine regarding
--- the NTIA request concerning the transition of its DNS
"ICANN/NTIA" class "IN" resposibilities to ICANN.
--- the consequences for the Internet and its global
multistakeholders and communities (RFC 6852) of the NTIA's IANA transition.
- respond to the questions of the ICG regarding the DNS "ICANN/NTIA"
class "IN" resposibilities to ICANN.
- respond adequately to the question of the ICG and other global
multistakeholders and communities irt. the consequences of the NTIA's
IANA transition

Due to the importance of these issues and the need for considerable
considrations and universal consensus, a confirmation by Lawrence
Strickling is necessary: is the date of Sept 30, 2015 the date for
the DNS "ICANN.NTIA" Class "IN" root file management or for the whole
IANA functions transition?

jfc