[Iasa20] 99 IETF IASA 2.0 bof - raw notes

"A. Jean Mahoney" <mahoney@nostrum.com> Tue, 18 July 2017 15:30 UTC

To: iasa20@ietf.org
From: "A. Jean Mahoney" <mahoney@nostrum.com>
Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2017 17:30:39 +0200
Subject: [Iasa20] 99 IETF IASA 2.0 bof - raw notes

Hi all,

My notes are below. Things I missed are marked with ...

Thanks!

Jean

IASA 2.0, IETF 99, Prague
Tuesday, July 18, 2017, 15:50-16:50, Grand Hilton Ballroom (1 hour)

Chair: Jon Peterson

5m Intro and agenda bash (Chair)

Note takers: Joe Hall and Jean Mahoney

Jabber scribe: Matt Miller

20m draft-haberman-iasa20dt-recs-00 (Design Team)
35m Discussion
  - Feedback on the set of identified possible paths forward
  - Any potential missed options
  - Implications of options being considered

Brian Haberman presented.

Jordi Martinez: There is a risk of being independent entity that relies
on sponsors, may not be good for maintaining independence. I sent my
input to the list - I think we should stay under the ISOC umbrella and
clarify the relationship.

Jon Peterson: The goal here is - Did we get the options right? Let's not
pick an option right now.

Bob Hinden: The doc should discuss that some of options will have lots
of staff that will change how the iETF works a lot. It will become like
W3C, which is staff driven. Something to consider. Need to examine.

Jon: How would we describe how the IETF may change?

Bob: you talk about having the staff making more decisions. And board
looking at strategic plans. The decisions are now made by IAOC and
larger community. The staff executes what the IAOC says to do. And the
options are proposing that staff makes decisions.

Brian: What are the tradeoffs between operations and strategic decisions
and what does the oversight look like.

Ted Hardie: We're providing feedback to the design team and we're still
on the first steps. Just wanted to clarify.

Jon: Yes.

Ted: In a lot of cases these are workable if their training and
experience helps them with strategic planning. the IAOC has become more
of an executive committee. Maybe that's because of the pool of people
we're picking from. Need to look at the recruiting mechanisms for
pulling in people who act at this level. If you don't have a clear idea
of how select people, you run on hope. Need to come up with a
recruitment strategy. The draft needs to cover that.

Brian: If I were to paraphrase: You want to input into factors for
selecting - like skillset and estimate of this workload.

Ted: It's not just what skillset we're looking for, but how would our
community recruit that skill set.

Leslie: I was involved in the hiring of the first IAD. Having a clear
idea of what the job is and where to advertise helps. As an individual,
we have to be clear on what problem the individual directions solve. The
fiduciary processes for contracts has been awful at times. If you think
you need to be independent. Need to stay focused on split of
responsibilities and clear on oversight. The retrospective tried to
captured issues we faced. It falls on the IETF chair to take it to the
community. The chair job gets larger, and the requirements list for the
IETF chair gets longer. The only reason to make changes is that
community sees issues.

Jonne Soininen: It doesn't matter how to organize, it can still act like
the IOAC, have to look at how to change the culture, not just the
structure. Which of those targets can be done in the current structure,
and then change procedures and processes. The Linux Foundation has some
projects underneath it that are incorporated and others that are not,
they act the same. What is really needed is to change the targets then
look at the legal setup.

Brian: What I hear you saying echoes what 3 other people are saying on
the list. Focus on problem statement and goals first.

Jonne: The legal structure might not be a solution. We may want to do it
regardless. The target that ... By itself it's not a solution. It's just
hope that things will change when the legal structure is changed. I
think hope is a strategy.

Eric Rescorla: We are in early stages on working on this. Agree that we
need the right people. That may bring in people who are not traditional
IETFers, are people comfortable with that? Bob was concerned about staff
making decisions. I've been in w3c and our way works better. Volunteers
may not have time to do everything. What do we not want staff to do? Not
the standards themselves.

John C Klensin MIC: following up on several recent comments, I think the
most frequent difficulty with IASA/IAOC so far has lack of transparency
to the community and the appearance of making strategic decisions _for_
the community, rather than focusing on determining and reflecting
community consensus.  Perhaps others don't care but, if "we" do, we
should be concentrating on changes that would fix (or improve on) that
problem and then evaluate proposed solutions on the basis of how they
would improve or pessimize things.  Some of that reinforces Jonnie's
comment, of course.

Randy Bush: My first reaction - Change?! oh no. We're trying to
understand our culture and our shibboleths, like transparency, and
technical excellence, and also the ability to run a small business.
We're not very good at it. When you bring in employees and money, it
changes the game. When you look at the legs we are standing on, the one
that has the cultural clue is the secretariat. How we go forward, it's a
tough thing to find that intersection. ISOC doesn't get the culture.

Tobias: regarding the legal structure and behavior - the structure is
decoupled, you can have different cultures with the same structure. It's
about the description of the role. and the way you act daily. The
structure has tiny influence. If you want changes in how we behave, it
needs to be changed in the interfaces. The question of staff and
community, John channeled - the concern that the IAOC is taking on too
much of the decisions. I'm in favor of delegating to the staff. Need to
recognize that we are more hands off.

Brian Rosen: My initial reaction was not to change structure - improve
we have. Although it doesn't apply in the current circumstance - we
can't fire the IAOC. It's not a problem but it could be. The marketing
problem and generating more income - needs the right person and not
necessarily the organization. I think we may have to deal with that
issue directly. Get a real marketing guy that makes lots promises.
Engineers are really bad at this.

Jon: Do you think we have that kind of confidence. Identifying the right
person?

Brian: How would we do that? I don't know.

Jari Arkko, as individual: Comments on culture being more important than
structure. The choice of the tasks they have, is a clarity issue. It's
not clear what we're trying to do. Fixing that clarity will help with
getting better structures in place. We need to look at the current
structure, do we have the people that have the time to do it properly?
And board members don't have time to deal with the ops issues.

Gonzalo Camarillo, chair ISOC board: I want to restate a comment Kathy
made last time - Kathy signs and has responsibility, but she doesn't
understand. She thought it was weird that the responsibility fell on
her. Talk to her. Clarify that.

Ray Pelletier, outgoing IAD: The IETF can hire and fire the IAD.
Whatever the oversight structure is, it needs the cultural clue. Things
the IAD may not know. The IAD should hire the marketing people. If you
are going to build a structure. The IAD is responsible for hire and fire
those people. The IAOC should handle ...

Brian: Would that ...

Ray: IAOC should meet quarterly, not once an month. And take up
contract... and not other much. ...

Jason Livingood, member of design team: on the funding, based on
membership and sponsorship fees - the IETF is not financially
sustainable. ISOC shores it up. That money comes from .org. Thinking
about revenue streams is important.

Jon: we have 15 minutes left, does the set in the document seem correct?
I've heard people express preferences. Anything missed. No takers. Can
we say that the design team has identified a path forward?

Ted: There's a lot of options that we didn't cover - pessimissive -
merger for instance. I'm fine with that. If someone thinks that, they
should bring the bride or groom to us. This is the right class of
options? Yes. I want to be careful with how far this gets us. it s start
of a journey not the end of it.

Jonne: Yes these are viable ways forward in terms of legal entity, but
not a solution to the problems in the target. That work is to be done.
There is potential to hit the targets under all of these. None of those
three things really impacts this picture.

Jon: Some of these options would radically change the structure.

Jonne: You would change the name of the IAOC to Executive Board and it
will not solve anything. You have to find to solution for those.

Jon: Anyone think that, if we made the IAOC more consultive and
transparent, would it solve it?  (Silence)

Leslie: How are you going to implement any of those structures? Start
with the problems and how they might be solved with the options. I don't
think we can discuss the tradeoffs. Flip vertical and horizontal axis.

Jon: ...

Jonne: My point was exactly what she said.

Lucy Lynch: There's prep work before one of these structures is cleared.
There's clarifying work, to know if we even have options there.

Jon: anything else? What the properties are and what were trying to
drive toward is good for the Design Team to hear.