[Iccrg] RE: [conex] ECN marking over wireless networks

ingemar.s.johansson@ericsson.com (Ingemar Johansson S) Fri, 08 June 2012 13:08 UTC

From: ingemar.s.johansson@ericsson.com
Date: Fri, 08 Jun 2012 13:08:01 +0000
Subject: [Iccrg] RE: [conex] ECN marking over wireless networks

Hi

I can give my input based on LTE simulation work, sofar I see no specific need to convey any extra ECN information about wireless access, also believe that the concept of disclosing CQI stimates outside its context (in this case LTE eNodeB) easily becomes confusing as it then assumes that the endpoints rate adaptation then need to become aware of access technology specifics.

ECN marking algorithms are in my opinion of the same breed as scheduling algorithms, meaning that the implementation is vendor specific. This explains the words in Section 11.6 in 3GPP TS36.300

In addition I don't see any major difference between ECN and packet drops, of course there are differences in the implementation details but there is no reason to convey information as regards to where packets are dropped or what the channel conditions were at the very same timeinstant, why should it then be the case with ECN ?

Regards
Ingemar