[Iccrg] Separate header checksums and WiFi

gf@erg.abdn.ac.uk (Gorry Fairhurst) Tue, 27 February 2007 18:54 UTC

From: gf@erg.abdn.ac.uk
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2007 18:54:56 +0000
Subject: [Iccrg] Separate header checksums and WiFi

I'm a little late in replying, but would like to offer a few thoughts
myself on this:

It's good to see real results and to understand how the
have been obtained and what their implications are. Thanks Michael!

1)  The doubts I expressed related to the use of existing PHY interfaces
for this,

2)  At one point the thesis makes the statement that:

"In links without such partial
detection capabilities, errored frames always have to be dropped. It is
also specified that
implementing partial error detection only makes sense on error-prone
links, i.e. radio links. "

- Those last two words are in my opinion the key ones. This method is
meant to be a
cross-layer optimisation, where we have seen it have merit, we have
needed to go much
lower than the link adaptation layer to modify the waveform itself, or
at least the way in
which it is used. It turns out, that design decisions made early in the
design of the PHY
have a significant bearing on the likely success of UDP-Lite. Examples
include the choice
of FEC, the power-budget used (scheduling/power control), and the way in
which
fragmentation is handled.

- If you could devise a codec for multimedia that was (more)
error-tolerent, then you
could propose to do the trade-off differently, and that's where I see
use for UDP-Lite,
and hence it's applicability (?) to DCCP also.

Until links support UDP-Lite, we won't have applications that can take
advantage
of this... while links are designed to be quasi-error-free (QEF), we
don't provide an
incentive for media codecs to be designed in this way either, so the
tendency is to make
codecs that have less error-tollerence, but higher efficiency in a QEF
channel....
We'll hopefully look at some of these next year, if anyone would like to
join us,
 that would be fine...

3) I think that using this with TCP could present a difficult
trade-off., and I'd agree
that this seems an unlikely place to find an application for this type
of method.

Gorry Fairhurst

P.S. I enjoyed reading the thesis!