[Iccrg] Re: updated CTCP draft

lachlan.andrew@gmail.com (Lachlan Andrew) Wed, 21 November 2007 04:04 UTC

From: lachlan.andrew@gmail.com
Date: Wed, 21 Nov 2007 04:04:30 +0000
Subject: [Iccrg] Re: updated CTCP draft

Greetings Murari,

I've finally started reading your draft -- sorry for the delay.

I'll get back to you once I've read it properly, but here are a couple
of preliminary points:

- I don't think it can be declared "safe" yet, since the "Control Law"
section doesn't specify  alpha.  A later section says "we use
alpha=1/8", but the draft doesn't say that that is part of the
*requirements* of the algorithm.  I could implement this with
alpha=10000 and claim that it satisfies the protocol description.  If
you want to say these parameters are tunable, you might want to
specify a range in which they can be varied, and specify a "default"
value in the algorithm description.

- Someone recommended using MUST, SHOULD, RECOMMENDED, MAY etc
according to the normal practice for normative RFCs.  I'd say you
"SHOULD" do that (you don't have to if there is a good reason not to,
but otherwise please do it).

- It seems that  dwnd  can become negative if diff<gamma.  In
particular,  if  dwnd(t)=0, then  dwnd(t+1) = -1.  Is that what you
mean?  In an RFC, I believe it is important to be very precise about
things like clipping.

- I'd much rather see a separation of  algorithm/implementation  from
justification/motivation.  As one of many examples, discussion of
fairness doesn't (to me) belong in the section defining the algorithm.
 This will also make clearer whether "automatic setting of gamma" is
part of the algorithm or not.  Unlike the other points, this doesn't
affect whether or not it is "safe", so it is up to you, but I think it
will make the document much easier to use.

Cheers,
Lachlan

--
Lachlan Andrew  Dept of Computer Science, Caltech
1200 E California Blvd, Mail Code 256-80, Pasadena CA 91125, USA