[Iccrg] Why don't we stop treating ECN and loss similarly?

David.Ros@telecom-bretagne.eu (David Ros) Mon, 29 October 2012 14:08 UTC

From: David.Ros@telecom-bretagne.eu
Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2012 14:08:35 +0000
Subject: [Iccrg] Why don't we stop treating ECN and loss similarly?

On 27 oct. 2012, at 11:26, Michael Welzl wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Here's an idea, inspired by something Bob Briscoe posted to the TSVWG list recently in a discussion of draft-carlberg-tsvwg-ecn-reactions. However, this possibly stupid idea is my own responsibility alone  :-)
>

> According to RFC 3168, senders must react to ECN just as if packets had been dropped.
> This is to maintain fairness between ECN-compatible and non-compatible flows.
> Because of this requirement, AQMs cannot ECN-mark packets more aggressively than it drops packets from non-ECN-capable flows - else ECN-marked flows would be at a disadvantage.
>
> We have seen various non-standard congestion control behaviors can co-exist reasonably well with standard TCP in practice. If it was possible to have a milder congestion reaction to ECN-based reaction, it would also be possible to ECN-mark packets earlier, leading to a bigger advantage for everyone using ECN. And none of this is possible when we have the "treat an ECN mark just like loss" rule in place.
>
> Hence, my question: to incentivize ECN usage and enable better behavior when it's used, shouldn't we remove this rule?

Hi,

(jumping late into this thread)

Likely I am missing something, but I don't see a fundamental difference between, say, having CUBIC compete with non-CUBIC flows and having RFC3168-compliant, ECN-enabled flows compete with "non-standard" ones (non-standard as in, reduce cwnd by less than half).

I don't know if we should *remove* the halve-cwnd-if-ECN-mark rule, but it looks like an interesting experiment to do.

Thanks,

David.

PS: by the way, what does a CUBIC sender do in the face of incoming ECN marks?